I'm using the demo of FRAPS

Community Forums/General Help/I'm using the demo of FRAPS

JBR(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi, I only need the 30 seconds the demo gives you, but the avi files for an 800x600 window are 380Mb in size.

I'd like to put one on youtube ... but not 380Mb

Is there an easy converter program?

Thanks
Jim

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#2]
Windows Movie Maker or Handbrake, maybe? Not sure if Camstudio includes a converter.

JBR(Posted 2012) [#3]
Tis ok, found a nice free converter called ConverterLite

Converts to MP4 which is ok for YouTube?

Jim

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#4]
If you can import to Windows Movie Maker you can export it as "High Quality Video (PAL)", which uses a variable bitrate and the WMV codec.
Youtube eats WMVs with no problem, and their quality is awesome (especially if it's a music video with just a static image).

PS: Yes, YT does accept MP4s. Read more about YT's supported formats.

iprice(Posted 2012) [#5]
You can also use VirtualDub (which is free) to convert the vids - it can have fantastic results on filesize without degrading quality.

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#6]
Avidemux ( http://avidemux.org/ ) is a good little free program for basic editing and transcoding.

JBR(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thanks guys.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
I think you will like ZDSoft better
http://www.zdsoft.com/screen-recorder/
More FPS

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#9]
Fraps records uncompressed video, so it can happen that if you record in 1080p (full HD), 2 hours of video can easily take up 50 GB. It is up to you to convert that.

Never mind the Captain - FPS have no meaning unless when recording. Your actual screen FPS is unaltered with Fraps - the number you see in the corners is the number with which Fraps is currently writing the video files. It is not what you see on screen. Subtle, but important difference.

In the end, a video only has 25-30 FPS anyways. So it doesn't matter much whether or not you get more FPS.

I use Premiere to convert Fraps recordings into YouTube compatible videos.

Last edited 2012

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#10]
Bear in mind that Youtube videos are converted to 30 fps, so higher FPS recording rates won't get you anywhere.

One problem you can encounter with FRAPS is that videos can turn out darker than they should. This is due to codecs sometimes interpreting the FRAPS luminance data as being in the TV range (16-235) rather than the PC range (0-255) that FRAPS actually records the luminance data in. If you encounter this problem then see if there's a Level option somewhere in the editor you're using to change from TV to PC luminance levels, or fiddle the brightness and contrast to something you can live with. In Avidemux when transcoding to MPEG-4 AVC (h.264 - the format that Youtube uses) I go to Filters > Colors > Avisynth ColorYAV and set 'Level' to 'PC -> TV' to fix the issue.

Also check out the Avidemux wiki at http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php for some great info on video recording and transcoding.

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#11]
Try using something like Fox Magic's ScreenVirtuoso instead of FRAPS - this way you can specify the recording compression and encoding type.

I you DO still wanna use FRAPS then convert the avi, There are a multitude of conversion programs around, as mentioned, avidemux or Windows Movie Maker can export to wmv.

Blaze Media can convert to a range of formats, and Adobe's Premiere as well as After EFfects can also import & export various movie types.

Otherwise, there's some alternative options such as RAD's Bink for example to re-encode the avi.