I have a question about web hosting

Community Forums/General Help/I have a question about web hosting

En929(Posted 2012) [#1]
I built a website and I was wondering what are some good web hosting services and is it better to just get a cheap hosting service (just to keep things more secure) or are there good free ones that can do just as good? I'm also want to use my name in the web address, so thus, I was wondering what are some recommendations in this venue? Thanks

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
I use Webs and they even provide Free hosting services but with small limitations. Ive been using the free service for almost 3 years!
http://www.webs.com/
You can upgrade to premium to get more abilities but I never felt the need to upgrade. You said you want your name in the URL so it would be like http://www.en929.webs.com/ I highly recommend webs hosting over other alternatives like Weebly or Google sites. There is another hosting brand that I tried and is okay but not as good as webs it is called X10 Hosting. http://www.x10.bz/ the only downside is that if your account is inactive for 30 days, they will delete it. :(

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
I use Hostgator. It's cheap enough at $8.95 and you can have it cheaper if you pay one, two or three years in advance.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#4]
Blacknight.com. Been with them for years. They really know their stuff and DO know about they talk about when you call support.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hostgator here also. I've Never had problems with them. I paid it for three years so I got it for $3.99 a month a year and a half ago.

En929(Posted 2012) [#6]
Thanks for the responses. Thus, I was wondering will the services that were mentioned here allow me to upload the website that I already built using HTML? I'm sorry. I'm such a rookie and and there are so many things that I don't know.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thus, I was wondering will the services that were mentioned here allow me to upload the website that I already built using HTML?
Hostgator - yes. Assuming you've used HTML/PHP/MySQL.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
Thus, I was wondering will the services that were mentioned here allow me to upload the website that I already built using HTML?

Webs - yes, just upload the file and link to it
Google Sites - same answer
x10 - dont know
Weebly - maybe
Take a look at my site, there was no html coding required to build it. select a template, upload some images, change some colors etc..

Canardian(Posted 2012) [#9]
Note that the trend is to abandon MySQL, because Oracle killed it, and use PostGreSQL instead. It's actually the default in Debian now, because they always do the right decisions.
Same thing goes for OpenOffice to LibreOffice, but that happened already earlier.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
It's actually the default in Debian now,

i thought he had stopped talking about Debian Linux by now :P

En929(Posted 2012) [#11]
Ok, thanks for the responses.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#12]
Note that the trend is to abandon MySQL, because Oracle killed it, and use PostGreSQL instead. It's actually the default in Debian now, because they always do the right decisions.
I strongly recommend that you pay no attention whatsoever to anything that Metatron says.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#13]
Note that the trend is to abandon MySQL

Please give these companies a call and tell them about this trend:

Flickr, Nokia.com, YouTube, Wikipedia, Google, Facebook and Twitter.

Source

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#14]
I strongly recommend that you pay no attention whatsoever to anything that Metatron says.

lol debian this, debian linux that :P
GfK, that is a harsh way of putting it but I agree! :X

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#15]
Posted this in another thread, so I might as well post it here as well.

You can check out Hostgator at http://www.hostgator.com/ . They're probably the best shared host out there. I've been with them for years with no problems. If you want to save yourself some money with them ($9.94), use the coupon code: saveathostgator

If you need a good free FTP program to transfer files then I recommend using Filezilla ( http://filezilla-project.org/ ).

Last edited 2012

okee(Posted 2012) [#16]
Blacknight.com. Been with them for years. They really know their stuff and DO know about they talk about when you call support.

I agree about the support, but the control panel leaves a lot to be desired.
Something as simple as adding an extra domain to your current hosting is a pain in the arse

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#17]
Something as simple as adding an extra domain to your current hosting is a pain in the arse

Here's hoping this is going to be improved soon, haha

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#18]
I really like Dreamhost for cheap shared hosting and you can easily upgrade to dedicated hosting if things grow. I do recommend them.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2012) [#19]
I used to use Powweb and they were ok but they don't give existing customers decent pricing. I moved to Justhost and they are ok, no real problems to report. They DNS was screwy via PipeDNS but they have addressed that issue now.

Darkheart

John G(Posted 2012) [#20]
DreamHost has been great for me.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#21]
netpivotal.com have done me alright for a few years now. Reliable and fast with large storage and bandwidth for about 7.99 a month.

Last edited 2012

Amon(Posted 2012) [#22]
Another Hostgator approver here! Use this coupon HOSTGATORFREETRIAL : Basically select a non business package, select Baby package; select monthly payment, enter a domain you'd like or if you have one enter it, enter the coupon and billing info and you will be set for the free trial. All you'll need to pay is 1cent with your card.

No better way to try them. Doubt you'd want to leave them though as they do really provide an excellent service.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#23]
En929:
Haven't you made a decision yet?

En929(Posted 2012) [#24]

En929:
Haven't you made a decision yet?

I thank everybody for all of the replies and help. Captain Wicker, yes, I made a selection. Thanks again.

Last edited 2012