development

Community Forums/General Help/development

Yue(Posted 2012) [#1]
In these days enjoying my new computer that I never thought to have passed GTA IV, but this leaves a bitter taste me as I realized that the development of computer games, greatly need a development team and that a single person can do everything, of course I can make a game based on total simplicity, something simple, but I think that's what I've been doing since I met Blitz3D, doing one thing, doing another, for enteder as programming with Blitz3D. But when I think of doing something decent with a vertical wall is when querera do something, because I think when I am very ambitious to make 3D projects, where I am many tasks for one person.

But I advise?

Makis(Posted 2012) [#2]
What?

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#3]
I think he is saying he is sad that he cannot make a GTA quality game on his own.

That is like saying you want to make a hollywood movie on your own, it is practically impossible. Anyways, good games do not need awesome graphics or massive immersion to be fun. (just like amateur films do not need huge budgets to be entertaining)

Do something simple but fun, forget about emulating AAA games or graphics.

Last edited 2012

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yue, stop making game menus.

Make gameplay.

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#5]
Tetris
Bejewelled
Battle For WestNoth
Super Laser Racer
Lucid
Chime
Shatter
Plants Vs Zombies
Clones
Final Fantasy VI

andy_mc(Posted 2012) [#6]
_PJ_: are you saying Final Fantasy Vi can be made by one person?

Yue, minecraft was made by one person. You should try it out if you've not already played it.

There are a lot of games you could write that could be very popular. I look to phone games for inspiration.

andy_mc(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yue: do you use Google translate to post to this website?

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#8]
I can give you some tips to produce results more quickly :

->You can create a game with meshes + vertex colors, and thus avoid many hours of UVMapping and Texturing. If the meshes are detailed enough, the result will be good enough i think.

->You can create characters and vehicles with several parts attached to joints rather than having to skin each vertex to each joint. (Like Morrowind or Ultima ascension or Urban Chaos or Oni)

->You can create new sounds easily with a good micro and a recorder and this will really improve the ambiance and the immersion.
Edit : and this avoids to waste time to search for free sounds or royality free sounds.

->You can add shadows with FastExt or DevilShadowSystem and thus avoid many hours of lightmapping.

These things can really speed up the creation of a game.

I don't think one man can create a game like GTA4 or Skyrim especially the meshes, the uvmaps, the textures, the skinning this is really too much work ! But one man can probably create a similar game with simpler graphics and a better AI or a better gameplay or a different ambiance ?

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#9]
Make gameplay.

Kryzon is right here.

It is perfectly possible for a team of one to create a good game, just not a game with vast amounts of hand-crafted detail.

e.g. ditch photorealistic graphics (a pointless goal anyway) in favour of simple vectors or silhouettes. Replace photo textures with textures generated by mathematical formulas. Don't use textures at all, and convey mood through lighting instead. Don't hand-animate characters, make the movement display their intentions instead, or use procedural animation techniques to place their limbs according to more formulas. Or use pre-captured animations from an online library. Don't hand-model characters; use yet more procedural algorithms to generate them out of nothing. Grow, rather than design, environments. Don't write a script; have your characters display emotional state and desires directly with icons. etc.

Basically, 90% of the work of a game is in areas that a clever director can afford to cut - if they have a core gameplay that doesn't use them (and most don't). As long as you're not trying to tell a cinematic, epic, script-driven RPG, you can probably afford to cut a lot. But you need to start from a solid core concept rather than building up the outside details first (as Kryzon said: stop making menus. They don't build towards anything until you have a playable game). You can tell your concept is solid if it's still fun to play with cubes for characters and blank colours for environments, and add the details like faces, shadows and menus later.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#10]
I must admit I am ignorant in many things, and my ignorance hurts me. While I've spent doing menus is simple exercises to learn how it works and learn programming that truly Blitz3D before arriving, I met something called reality factory, and before that something called Entidad3D, I say shame that I have no qualifications and what happened is that having a new computer something very strange happens and do something that is nice and gather all the knowledge I've managed to get simpre although I have to learn something new.

But as I mentioned some time, possibly this is just a hobby, accompanied by some illusion, something personal.

Always appreciate your comments especially when you juggle the google translator to communicate with this community.

Matty(Posted 2012) [#11]
Hi Yue,

There is something pleasing in creating your own game, even if it is not an epic masterpiece. Even if the only person who likes your game is yourself it is a good feeling to have created something. Don't be discouraged by how inadequate your efforts may seem in comparison and simply enjoy the experience. This is especially true if you are doing this as a hobby. If it is a hobby the only person who needs to be pleased with your work is yourself. If your happiness in creating games depends on the number of good reviews you receive then you will never be satisfied. Simply enjoy the activity in and of itself.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hi Yue, do not get despondent. A Menu system in itself is something to be proud off.

iprice(Posted 2012) [#13]
Just remember it took a large team of expert programmers and graphics artists years to create Rise Of The Robots. It would have taken an average programmer about 5 minutes to create something equally bad...

Just involve yourself in something you believe in; something that you will enjoy and can finish. That's all that matters.