Graphics card dead?

Community Forums/General Help/Graphics card dead?

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey guys.

I just downloaded red alert 3 from steam and was playing happily away on the first level, everything at high, resolution 1920 x 1080. Then the screen went blank, and the computer restarted. No signal going to the monitor. Tried to get blindly to safe mode. Nothing. No POST screen.

Luckily I have a 4200 HD, onboard graphics. Plugged that in and I have a picture. Windows doesn't acknowledge the existance of the 8800GT I was using.

It sounds bad... doesn't it? Does this sound like a dead graphics card?

Last edited 2012

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#2]
False alarm perhaps? I have changed the 6 pin plug running into the graphics card. Luckily a bought a decent power supply with extra cables. Maybe that power cable has burned out.

Could this point to any problems I should keep my eye on? Maybe a power supply issue?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
I'd say so, but you can try unplugging and reseating the card to see if that helps.

[edit] Oh, also, if the card needs a separate power feed from the PSU, check that it's actually getting power (i.e. swap the molex plug for one you know works).

Last edited 2012

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yep, it seems to have done the trick. I'm curious though. Should I be purchasing a new power supply? I've had 2 good years out of this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AXLE-Extreme-AX-P650L-supply-internal/dp/B002RL7FN0

I paid good money for it (£95), as I wanted something stable and efficient...

Going to give Red Alert another go, at lower resolution and quality settings.

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
To be honest I'd just tape off the potentially offending power connector so you know which one it is, and carry on and see what happens.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#6]
No worries. Good call about taping it off. Cheers buddy!