Any safe program to download .torrent?

Community Forums/General Help/Any safe program to download .torrent?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

Are there any safe program to download .torrent file?

Thanks in advance

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#2]
utorrent

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#3]
There are a few clarifications to be made here.

First of all, a .torrent file itself is perfectly safe. All it contains is some very basic information about the distributing swarm, peer location[s], etc. As far as I'm aware it's impossible for the .torrent file to be unsafe, unless it's not really a .torrent file and it's a virus hiding under a different extension, in which case your torrent client would also have to be crooked to use or execute the viral data.

Addressing what you probably meant, namely the data that a .torrent file links to... Well, there's two ways of looking at it. On the one hand, there's really no way to know if the downloaded contents are safe without using a good anti-malware program like Malwarebytes to scan them all after downloading. This applies to anything you download from the internet at any time, if you want to be truly safe.

On the other hand, a .torrent just downloads files and saves them to your disk. None of those files can become dangerous until they're executed or opened, and unless you're streaming live media or something I don't know of any torrent client that will do that. So in that way, any reputable and stable torrent client is perfectly fine to use.

With all that in mind: why not just use the default BitTorrent client? You know... BITTORRENT?? I find myself constantly nonplussed by the large number of people that have a strange mental block around using BitTorrent's default client, and when I ask them why they can never give me a straight answer. :P

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#4]
I think he means a safe application in which to download the torrents? If so Utorrent is safe.

Utorrent is smaller and more stable in my experience, plus has some other nice features.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thank you, Ross C and Adam.
I have no experience of downloading .torrent.

I remembered if I downloaded .torrent, others are getting same .torrent data from my pc. When downloading is completed, that .torrent data is still valid for other internet users until I close it in task manager. Is that true?

Thanks in advance

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yes, that's right. You download the client. Click on a bit torrent link, and the bit torrent client will open and do it's things. It will download and upload pieces to and from your computer.

When it's finished, your supposed to share at least the same amount of data you have downloaded. If people didn't do that, the whole system would fail. Once you have closed the bit torrent client, it no longer uploads data.

Remember that even if you close the client part way through a download, it will resume it's download when you open it back up.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2012) [#7]
it will resume it's download when you open it back up

Are there any setting to control the resume in utorrent or BitTorrent ?

Last edited 2012

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#8]
Erm, I don't know why you wouldn't want to resume a download, but you can pause and stop downloads, then manually start them again, and it will resume from where it stopped.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#9]
transmission (mac / linux)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
13 off the top of my head:
Transmission, BitTorrent, uTorrent, Vuze, eMule, limewire, Free Downloads Manager, GetRight, FrostWire, BitLord, Movie Torrent, SoMud, BitComet

My personal favorite is BitComet because with a free account you can download much faster. BitComet, SoMud and Vuze can all resume broken downloads. If you are searching for torrents I would recommend TorrentPond to search although I would NOT recommend downloading anything in which you do not own

Last edited 2012

Happy Sammy(Posted 2012) [#11]
Any cache used by .torrent file? If yes, where can I delete it? (eg. utorrent)

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#12]
http://forums.techarena.in/technology-internet/1347308.htm

Happy Sammy(Posted 2012) [#13]
Thanks a lot.