Installing Ubuntu Dell Inspiron N5110 Certified???

Community Forums/General Help/Installing Ubuntu Dell Inspiron N5110 Certified???

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I want to install ubuntu 11 on my dell inspiron n5110 laptop. This page says its certified. http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201012-6932/ But I am not sure how I would go along doing this. Are there any missing details I should know first? I have the ubuntu 11 iso on a dvd-rw. Can I somehow preview the OS on my laptop before i install it? What should I do? ?:S

Thanks in Advance!

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
Can I somehow preview the OS on my laptop before i install it?

The install disc (assuming the main one, not the alternate) should work as a Live-CD: when you put it in and boot from it (note, you actually have to boot from the disc for this), you can choose to run the OS off the disc. This lets you play with it at zero investment... but it will be really slow and you shouldn't let the performance put you off.

Assuming you have Windows, you may also be able to install Ubuntu via "Wubi" (I don't know if they still do this actually)... instead of creating a partition it uses a file on your Windows drive and can be uninstalled from the Windows uninstall program box when you get bored of it. This is fast, but still not suitable for long-term use as it's rather unstable and bug-ridden. To use this option, boot into Windows and run the Ubuntu disc from there (or... these days you may need to obtain the Wubi installer separately, I don't know).

Finally, if you're willing to commit some space, there's no need to use the whole hard disk for a permanent install: the installer has a partition manager built in and will let you choose to keep Windows (or whatever) alongside Ubuntu in a dual-boot configuration. You don't need to understand partitioning or booting as it can completely automate this process. This is the best option for long-term use anyway as it means you retain access to a native Windows install for those pesky non-portable games and applications.

So the short answer is, stick the disk in and boot from it: the installer is very simple to use and will guide you through the process easily, asking for confirmation before making any breaking-changes.

The other good option for previewing is YouTube. Look up some videos of the different user-interfaces (Unity, GNOME, Xfce, KDE, LXDE...) and save yourself many minutes of downloading and installing, as they're dramatically different from each other. Once you've decided which one you like you can install it on top of vanilla Ubuntu from the Software Centre.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
FANTASTIC!!!! it works!!! Now I wonder how I would use BlitzMax????