VirtualBox, Windows and Blitz3D

Community Forums/General Help/VirtualBox, Windows and Blitz3D

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

How well does Blitz3D, BlitzMax etc work under VirtualBox via OSX? I want to try compiling for Windows and Linux via OSX and had hoped that maybe the VirtualBox could help me out. Has anyone here been able to successfully install Windows Vista inside of a virtual machine? Please help!

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#2]
It doesn't. afaik

At least I have not got it to work on linux or osx (and i have tried VMs, Wine etc...)

This is one of the main reasons i had to stop using it.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
It doesn't

Not even with 3D acceleration enabled?
Also, I dont like wine that much but crossover/crossover games is great! I like to play wizard101 with that!

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
I want to try compiling for Windows and Linux via OSX

Don't bother. You can't rely on virtual machines to be bug-free. There is no point developing for a platform you haven't got yourself, because you'll never be able to support the software properly. The same goes for environments like Wine (actually, that's even worse since it's not even running the same code).

If you want to develop in Blitz3D, you have precisely one sensible option: get Windows. If you don't want to do that, change tool.

Oddball(Posted 2012) [#5]
I run and compile BlitzMax apps through a Parallels VM running on my Mac without any problems at all. I've compiled for Windows and Linux using this method. It works just fine. And I reckon Blitz3D will compile just as easily.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
That's useful information Oddball, Thank you! I'll give it a try in a few minutes and repost if it works!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#7]
It works!!!! EURICA!!!!

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#8]
I have compiled BlitzMax programs for Linux and Mac using VMs on a Windows box.

It is possible, just not desirable. OSX for one thing runs very very slow in a VM. And as Yasha says, you are going to have a hard time supporting those platforms without actual installs. But if you are doing it for testing or development, it is fine.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#9]
By Yasha

The same goes for environments like Wine (actually, that's even worse since it's not even running the same code).

After about 18 years of development, and 15 of those to reach a 1.0 version, I think it runs extraordinarily well. Did run Portal and Portal 2 for me without issues. Without Windows.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#10]
...whether it can run finished programs is irrelevant. It will never be an appropriate Windows dev environment, because it freely admits on the box that it is not Windows.

As long as any entries in the AppDB are anything less than Platinum quality, this will always be the case.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
i dont know if i should have started a new thread or not but anyway...
I have had problems running a lot of b3d apps via vmware fusion. mainly sample program and such. I have a copy of parallels desktop 4 + updates and stuff, but should blitz3d work better in parallels than vmware fusion? Please don't hate on me for asking for help so much! i am a noob! ^^;

EDIT: My mistake, this is actually Parallels Desktop 7. Anyway I got blitz working again with no problems :)

Last edited 2012