Any free modelers that can export b3d?

Community Forums/General Help/Any free modelers that can export b3d?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I have Blender but it will not export to b3d on Mac, I have been trying to get MiniB3D to load up 3DS files but they all load up as cube looking meshes. Is there any tools available for OSX that can either convert 3DS to B3D or a modeler/animation tool for the Mac that can export to B3D? Is there a code archive entry that can help convert 3DS, PLY, DAE, OBJ to B3D?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#2]
deleD 3d:
http://www.delgine.com/

EDIT:
oops, no mac

Try wings3d maybe?
looks like others have problems exporting to B3D, unless this is you.
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22917&highlight=b3d

also, 3ds->cube means the file was not loaded. check the file path.

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#3]
Blender exports to b3d you do need the exporter though... same as on all platforms

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
I have been trying to get MiniB3D to load up 3DS files

miniB3D doesn't support 3DS.

What it does do is silently convert the string to the path to a B3D file and then try to load that, which of course doesn't exist in your case. I assume this is a placeholder for a 3DS loader that is intended to be added at some future point, but it's a strange way of going about it.

The Blender plugin is probably not a Mac problem but a version problem, as far as I know: due to engine changes in Blender the B3D exporter hasn't worked correctly in years. You could download an old version of Blender that supports the plugin (e.g. 2.48, I think) and install that alongside your "real" Blender for the sole purpose of converting to B3D.

If you have Wine (if you want code archive entries, you'd better have a means of running Blitz3D itself), you can use PaceMaker to convert 3DS to B3D. Other B3D conversions would best be done by not looking in the archives for a converter, but two bits: load-whatever and export-B3D.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#5]
Blender exports to b3d you do need the exporter though... same as on all platforms
That's what I thought, seems like it should work on the latest Blender from what these guys resolved:
http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=96929#1123472

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#6]
miniB3D doesn't support 3DS.

sorry, i keep forgetting that. although, there are addons for it.
Werner's engine has a great one, i'll see if he lets us use it for minb3d.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thank You all for responding! I tried an older version of blender and it worked! Thanks AdamRedwoods, Yasha, and D4NM4N!

ima747(Posted 2012) [#8]
The exporter for blender worked for me the last time I updated things (maybe 4 months ago? A while but not years, certainly newer than 2.48). There are a number of versions of the exporter floating around and it's stupidly annoying to install on Mac because of where they burry the folders etc. but to the best of my knowledge you don't have to go back in time to make it work if you get a good exporter...

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#9]
make sure you normalise rotation and scaling on multi object models before export though, otherwise they kind of come to bits.