Receiving Networkpackets in VirtualBox

Community Forums/General Help/Receiving Networkpackets in VirtualBox

Derron(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

today I come to you with another problem :D

Setup:
I have a Host running Linux, a VirtualBox with a XP-Guest.
Networking in VBox is set to bridge - so the virtual xp gets a XP in my LAN instead of a "guest and host only network".

As I'm running a SVN Repo (so my AI programmers can have access etc.) and I don't want to commit each change to test my multiplayer mode (LAN Broadcasting etc.) I decided to use a shared folder.

So on my Linux host i have a directory with my code, this directory is shared via samba as smb share to the VirtualBox-XP.

If compiled within XP ... it takes ages (20 seconds for a quick compile) as LAN-per-file-access isn't that fast (same for real XP on a Notebook connected per Lan or Wlan).

Ok I thought about adding a shared folder (a VirtualBox solution - it's like mapping a networking path to a drive but circumventing the whole packetthingies the normal network mapped drive of xp uses).
Running (or compile-run) a program from this shared folder (which ends in the same directory on my host) then has the problem of not receiving broadcasts (or packets in general).

So the question is: how to enable a VirtualBox-sharedfolder-running-programm to receive networking packets.

Another question is: how to speed up "per lan compile" (1gbit connection) - a difference between <1sec (local copy) and 20-25sec (remote) can't be called marginal :D.

bye
Ron

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
Another question is: how to speed up "per lan compile" (1gbit connection) - a difference between <1sec (local copy) and 20-25sec (remote) can't be called marginal :D.

Unfortunately the TCP/IP protocol is *much* more efficient with large files than it is with small ones -- any transfer starts slowly, and then ramps up in speed. If you're transferring/touching/whatever a ton of small files it can be pretty slow, even over gigabit.