Alternative to Adobe Flash?

Community Forums/General Help/Alternative to Adobe Flash?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
I've been using Flash 8 for a couple years or so now to draw game artwork but I'd quite like to look at alternatives that are newer/more up-to-date/less flakey.

Any suggestions? Don't mind it not being free but I don't want to dole out nearly $700 for Flash Pro CS5.5.

[edit] By the way, I only want it for vector art, not AS3.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
Inkscape is a free vector drawing program, although I have no idea how it compares feature-wise.

From their website: http://inkscape.org/

An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.

Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.

Retimer(Posted 2012) [#3]
Anime Studio, or Toon Bloom are similar'ish alternatives.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#4]
Xara Graphic and Photo designer is a top class piece of software. You get a fully functional and usable trail as well. I use it for all manor of things. Highly recommended!

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#5]
Isn't Gamani's Movie-Gear vector-graphic based? I think it might be

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#6]
I fell in love with Illustrator (I just have an old 'CS3') some time ago... seems unbeatable for vector drawings, and it has many similarities to flash.

In general I don't like Adobe's products: flash is cumbersome to say the least, I can't do anything on Photoshop - as much as I try, I can't like it's over-complicated workflow... but somehow, Illustrator just 'clicked' with me.

It still haven't crashed on me - but I can't say I'm a power user or anything... so who knows what problems does it have :P