Something Similar to Torque Engine 4 Mac

Community Forums/General Help/Something Similar to Torque Engine 4 Mac

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi Everyone!,

I have been searching the web for quite a while now for something at all similar to the Torque Engine for Macintosh and Windows, Does anyone here know if the MacOS version of Torque still exists as it isn't on the site anymore??? Is there any alternative to Torque for Mac/Linux/Windows? I just bought a book yesterday titled "3D Game Programming all in one second edition" and it has over 1000 pages of knowledge that I am itching to try out!! The MacOS/Linux demo versions are on the disc that came with the book but doesn't have anything about it on the site.

Thanks Guys!

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#2]
nvm

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Anyone know what to compile .cs files with? C++? C#?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#4]
I think C#

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks Hotshot2005, I'll try that :)

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#6]
C++? C#?

You do know that these aren't compilers, right?

A lot of people seem to miss this distinction, especially coming from places like Blitz where there is only one compiler per language, and no published language definition. You can't compile something with C#: C# is a purely hypothetical entity that exists only in the form of a language specification. You can however use the C# compilers built into Mono or Visual Studio or something else to compile code written in the C# language. The same goes for almost all mainstream languages.

Sorry if this was already obvious, but it's important that you understand. Otherwise you're in for a lot of confusion further down the line.

*(Posted 2012) [#7]
Although coming from years ago we never used to say 'c++ compiler' or 'c# compiler' so I can understand where hes coming from just saying the language specification would 'obviously' mean you would want to compile it to use it :D

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#8]
-"Anyone know what to compile .cs files with? C++? C#? "
I think you need the crapscript compiler! :D

Seriously though you need to look at either mono's MSC or microsoft's CSC

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
crapscript compiler

those are some big words coming from "Dan Harvey of D-GRAFIX" Seriously, you need to be careful which tree you decide to bark up! :P
Microsoft CSC

I prefer a GCC compiler. :D

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#10]
Dude, would you please go and learn about humour somewhere?

1) Dan is insulting C#, not you.

2) Don't threaten people, jackass. Even if you think people are insulting you. You do not have anything to use in such a situation.

Also, there is no GCC module for C#. The closest GNU-approved option is probably the dotGNU Portable.NET cscc, which is... incomplete at best (dotGNU is almost completely a dead project).

Your sensible options for using C# are:

-- Microsoft Visual C# Express / Visual Studio. This is probably the only compiler that completely and correctly handles the latest version of the complete C# language. You also get to use Visual Studio, which is hands down the most powerful dev tool known to mankind. The downside is that you need to be on Windows - I get the impression you're not - and it's a big, sprawling, tentacled mass of an install. Using it is also not really like using any other build tools and it doesn't integrate well with them.

-- Mono + MonoDevelop. Crossplatform (including Windows), but the runtime isn't as good (and MonoDevelop shouldn't even show its face in the same building as Visual C#). Developing here is better for portability however, since anything supported by Mono will be supported by .NET, but not necessarily the reverse.

On the downside, Mono is really controversial in the non-Microsoft world and you can't rely on it to be installed anywhere. On the upside, you can bundle it yourself if you really have to (Unity does this, I think). The technology seems to be going out of fashion a bit though (stupid HTML5).

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#11]

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#12]
Yasha is right (points both 1 and 2), CS is nicknamed as crapscript amongst my peers) although not entirely fair imo.. C# is quite nice to use albeit bit too windowsey. There is mono, but it's dev-tools are still not mature enough for my liking.

those are some big words coming from "Dan Harvey of D-GRAFIX" Seriously, you need to be careful which tree you decide to bark up! :P

Why? I can bark up any tree I like. Am i supposed to be impressed that you can do an icann-whois search?

FYI i was trying to be helpful.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
lol, just kidding :P

EDIT: @LuCiFeR[SD], Having fun yet??

Last edited 2012