Windows 7 SMB connecting with NAS Drive

Community Forums/General Help/Windows 7 SMB connecting with NAS Drive

nrasool(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey Everyone,

I have windows 7 Ultimate and for a couple of days I cannot seem to connect to my NAS Drive. It getting really annoying. With Windows XP, it was easy, you put in the ip address and it will find it. Windows 7 can see the NAS drive, but it refuses to connect to it.

Has anyone successfully done this, if so, please can you provide any help. I've gone through some forums suggestions like the following:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/8f21d25d-8189-48e7-8d7f-d6211ac63d31/

http://superuser.com/questions/304209/looking-for-definitive-answer-to-accessing-a-network-drive-nas-smb-drive-via-win

Plus the following

-----------------------------8<---------------------------------
Go to local Security policies -> Local Policies -> Security Options

Go to Network Security: Lan Manager Authentication Level

Change the value : Send LM and NTLM responses -> Send NTLM Responses Only

Also : Untick both options in Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based ( No minimum)
-----------------------------8<---------------------------------

Still I cannot connect to the NAD drive. The NAS drive is linux based, but I can connect to it via a web browser which will give me the NAS control panel.

Please could someone help

Many thanks

Kind Regards

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Still I cannot connect to the NAD drive

lol NAD drive! :D

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#3]
Does the NAS use Samba Server to provide SMB shares? If yes, are you sure Samba is running?

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#4]
By default you do need some tweaking in the group policies to get mappings to non-Windows devices to work properly, thanks to 'security enhancements' which aren't (yet) supported by most non-windows devices.

Have fought this before as well -- unfortunately I don't remember the exact keys to change anymore to get it working. :-/

nrasool(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hey there

@GFK, No idea where that came from ;-)

@Wiebo, yup SMB share is running as it works in XP.

@xlsior, yes I think you are right

I have found a workaround, after doing the following registry fix:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Created key LmCompatibilityLevel
Change values of 1 and 0 (including rebooting)

Now I go to 1) Start Menu, Select the Computer option to open the Computer Explorer Window. On the second-level drop-down menu options, find the 'Map Network Drive' and select it:

2) Select the option for "Connect to website" and put in the ip address and also the folder name, eg \\192.168.0.7\Work

That seems to work, but the disadvantage is that you need to do these for all folders separately

Kind Regards

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#6]
I have a NAS 2 DUO (netgear) and have AFP, SMB and NFS shares going for my respective Osses. The SMB share gave me no trouble with windows 7. I cannot think why you are having any issue with this from the windows end, but the fact you say that XP works would indicate a 7-side problem...

:/

Firewall prehaps? Try temporarily disabling all security software and see if you can access it via the raw:
\\server\share
in either IE or explorer (it is quicker than trying to map drive.. do this -after- you get it sorted)

Also if you have a linux, unix, android or osx box try accessing:
smb://server/share
from your file manager and see if that connects.. If it does then it is definetly something odd with the win 7 side of things.

Nevermind... i should really learn to read the OP's last post :D

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#7]
I *believe* (but am not positive) that windows 7 has dropped some legacy support for old Samba connection types by default. OS X Lion did this as well but they actually removed the code entirely. On mac I think it was partially over some legal complaint (as near as I can make out) re: the samba code Apple was using so rather than try to sort it out they just canned the old stuff and re-wrote a new connector that only uses newer more secure methods. On OS X you can install an open source Unix alternative (There are some step my step guides). On windows I think they did it for security not legal reasons so most of the old stuff is still in place, just needs a little registry tinkering to re-enable it... In any case SMB is now a PITA on new systems generally speaking which is quite annoying if you have a legacy device that relies on it (like a TON of NAS's, or an old Xbox running XBMC, etc.)