Converting OBJ to 3DS or X

Community Forums/General Help/Converting OBJ to 3DS or X

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

Does anyone know how to convert waveport obj files into 3dstudio or directx files? Is there a Free tool that can do this? Also applying dds textures to the model file?

Thnx!

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
You can import .obj and export both .3ds and .x using Wings 3D, which is free. It's a worthy addition to your modelling toolkit in its own right, too.

Although if you're using Blitz3D, I think there's actually an .obj import routine in the code archives anyway (then you can use the DDS directly, or find a save-B3D routine to match it).

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
What should I do if only part of the model shows up when exported? :S

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#4]
Maybe you have selected part of the mesh when exporting and it's only exported a selection?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#5]
Could POSSIBLY have too many polys. That's happened to me, LOADS of times :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
I dont think so, I am using 3ds Max 9 and I have finally completed my model and cannot get it to export without parts of the mesh being cut off. I have created an imperfect model of an imac 27" computer but when I export it says it has too many faces in the model to export and only exports less than half of the model. I am quite confused. Perhaps someone could download my model from the following link I just uploaded? http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cwnapc2624wt6w0
If you can tell me what is wrong with it is yours to keep ;)

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#7]
Reset transforms on the model. Sometimes normals get flipped inside Max, but it shows them correctly. When you export, the true values get exported and it all looks inside out (or invisible, depending on camera position.) Reset transforms will show up any such problems.

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#8]
(IIRC It's on the utilities tab.)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
doesn't help, it says it contains too many faces. Any other thoughts?

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#10]
doesn't help, it says it contains too many faces. Any other thoughts?

Well call me a reactionary old fool, but I think it's remotely possible that it contains too many faces.

Break it up.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#11]
lol

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#12]
call me a reactionary old fool,

erm... enough now nobody here is a fool :(

On second though, I'll just recreate the model in blender or something. :P

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#13]
erm... enough now nobody here is a fool :(

You're very kind but clearly don't know me very well. By the way, you need to keep your eye open a bit more for humour. Ross got it.

On second though, I'll just recreate the model in blender or something. :P

Seems like breaking it up in Max would be quicker and easier - particularly since you may face the exact same problem in Blender anyway - but it's your time.

Last edited 2012

Warner(Posted 2012) [#14]
In Max, there is a collapse function. You could try that to see if it improves the 3ds export.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#15]
How do I use collapse?

Warner(Posted 2012) [#16]
It's under 'tools'. (The hammer icon) Select your mesh, go to 'tools' on the right and click "Collapse". First try to set it to 'collapse to single object'. Alternatively, try 'collapse to multiple objects'. It basically collapses any of the modifiers that are applied to the mesh.

Last edited 2012