Fast Game Engine for DevC++

Community Forums/General Help/Fast Game Engine for DevC++

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

I was looking into a magazine the other day and thought about switching to a fast game engine for C++ that supports Win and Mac. So here is the deal, I need something simple for beginners and fast for high end stuff. I am aware that this can be very challenging and wish to give it a good go at it. What engine would you recommend that is Free, Fast, and supports physics and anything else that a pro would need to create a blockbuster app?

Thank You! :)

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
Standard advice:

1) Don't use C++.

2) If you must use C++ (and there really aren't that many good reasons to do so), there is no good reason to use Dev-C++. It's outdated, and wasn't very good even when it was new.

As for engines... when you're dealing with a "mainstream" language like C++, you don't need to specify the language. Any general-purpose engine will work.

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#3]
Nothing will be simple for beginners with C++. [/personal opinion]

If DevC++ caught your attention for being free, you might want to look at Code::Blocks. It's awesome; it's cross-platform, cross-country, cross-dressing and all that jazz.

As for engine: Panda3D

In any case, most of these C++ engines have LUA or Python front-ends, because when you're tweaking your game (speed of animations, camera and movements, size of collisions, amount of particles etc.) you need to efficiently iterate gameplay, making interpreted scripts the developer's best friend.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
I choose to go with Visual C++ 2008 Express. Where should I go from here to learn about C++ and the irrlicht3D game engine?

Matty(Posted 2012) [#5]
Not C++ but BlitzMax is simple for beginners, fast and has numerous 3d engines wrapped for it...and compiles for Win/Mac as requested above.

For irrlicht...I'd imagine you'd find your info here:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tutorials/

(first link on google).

Last edited 2012

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#6]
Visual C++ 2010 Express is free, and recomended. Not free and not cross platform just yet (Android is next after Windows) but is very fast, includes physics and is easy to get into, is Nuclear Fusion.

http://www.nuclearglory.com/products.php

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#7]

Nothing will be simple for beginners with C++.

Depends, I was a beginner, started using it to create userlibs in BlitzPlus, got tucked in, wrote a DirectX 9 lib, wasnt easy, though, it wasnt hard either...

I find C++ fun to use, in my experience, the "language" has many core concepts of even BASIC (For, while, switch [select], classes, structs), so if your a programmer, you have a massive headstart already.

The problem with C++, in my eyes, is the sheer scale of the libraries out there, and as such, their made in such a way that more often then not, you have to handle stuff at such a lower level, it takes a good few lines of code to achieve something, which, would only be handled by one function call in a higher level language, much like, say, Blitz's Graphics function.

Though, with that lower level, there is the added bonus that you have more control over whats happening under the hood, which is what I like too.

Its horses for courses in my opinion, I like it, I use it occasionally, because it is indeed, there to be used!

Dabz

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#8]
It's powerful, that's true, and it can certainly be used well to achieve wonderful things.

The reason a lot of people (including me, for those of you who hadn't noticed) dislike it are mainly based around the language design: it's huge and it's messy, basically consisting of every cool thing the designers saw elsewhere smashed together with no regard for elegance, or in some cases common sense (it is not repeat not just C-with-OOP - there are hundreds of other features too), and with no proper theoretical or even logical basis.

The reason I keep telling people not to use it is because since the language is literally too big to use completely (if nothing else, it has dozens of features that compete with each other for the same tasks), you can usually find what you want implemented better by a different language (and in this modern era of decent foreign-function interfaces, you also don't need one language that does everything any more, when you can just combine two or three in separate modules).

But if you know how to use it and you know what you want to build, then writing in C++ is absolutely the right thing to do.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#9]
C++ hates me, and I hate it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#10]
I love and hate C++ lol.

Once you're all set with the basics of C++, organised your code over several files and got meaningful classes for your game objects, it's pretty much plain sailing with an easy to use engine.

I agree with Yasha pretty much, C++ got far too big. Plain C with classes would have been ideal in my book. But it is so powerful and the optimized compilers, IDE's, available code etc etc make it worth picking and choosing the best bits from C and C++.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
Perhaps ill just go back to bb3d and leave C alone. I don't think im up to the challenge of C++ nor python coding just yet as I had tried Panda 3D with both and is horrible to understand. Thanks for all of your responses.

Matty(Posted 2012) [#12]
What engine would you recommend that is Free, Fast, and supports physics and anything else that a pro would need to create a blockbuster app?

Learn to walk before learning to run....the one good thing I learned from "3d gamestudio" was the comment on their webpage years ago "your first 10 games will be *insert expletive here*" - from my own experience it is true (and for me I'd say it's much more than 10!)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
Learn to walk before learning to run

I agree :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#14]

I don't think im up to the challenge of C++

Languages like the Blitz ones can give you a whole world of experience. Jumping to C++ and an engine are another leap. Only you can decide when you're ready to jump, or decide to stick with Blitz.