recommended books to learn linux shell?

Community Forums/General Help/recommended books to learn linux shell?

Pax(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello, years ago I used to have a small book with linux commands that resembled a lot their DOS counterparts, however lost it.

I'm thinking on installing linux on a spare machine and learn from it, but would like to know of any recommended book that includes shell commands and if possible the files that configure linux, for example, how can I configure it to avoid loading a windows manager and instead start an application after boot.

So any suggestion to learn the basics of the linux shell + basic system setup on customizing it?

Thanks in advance.

CGV(Posted 2012) [#2]
I stumbled upon this recently. Introduction to Linux

Maybe it contains what you need and it's free:

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#3]
I'm thinking on installing linux on a spare machine and learn from it, but would like to know of any recommended book that includes shell commands and if possible the files that configure linux, for example, how can I configure it to avoid loading a windows manager and instead start an application after boot.

I don't know any books (other than the one in post #2, which is very good, +1), but you can learn a lot from the Arch Linux Wiki, which provides lots of information and step-by-step guides.

Since Arch is aimed at medium-advanced users and relies heavily on classic methods like the config files and doing everything from the command line (there is no default graphical environment at all, although you can add one later), it's great for learning how things work.

Pax(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thank you very much, will start reading.