wireless adapter for Sony Bluray player

Community Forums/General Help/wireless adapter for Sony Bluray player

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
I just bought a Sony Bluray/DVD player after the cat decided to eat the wire on the old DVD player. It has a USB port so you can plug in USB drives and a wifi adapter to stream video from iPlayer/LoveFilm etc.

My NetGear adapters show as not compatible when I connect them - they are both identical models. After reading the manual, it seems I have to buy a Sony one (no big surprise there), which costs £46 at the cheapest, and does not have good reviews regarding signal strength etc.

My question is - what's so special about the Sony wireless adapter? People on other forums claim to have certain wifi adapters that work with certain TVs and Bluray players but I'm not going to go down that route until I find out what this "magic ingredient" is.

Anybody know what makes a wireless adapter work (or not) with TVs etc?

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
The same as what makes them work with computers: you need a hardware specific driver. Only a few a bundled in the device firmware, hence only their adapter.

That said, personally I've found most bluray player wireless substandard over a wired connection, with frequent hiccups and buffering when.playing netflix.
I switched back to Ethernet cable for mine, and those problems all.went away.
(never had those issues when using a laptop connected to the same access point)