HP G60 Overheat problem.

Community Forums/General Help/HP G60 Overheat problem.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

I have ordered a recovery disc set from hp for my old laptop. My recovery drive was whiped by accident. It has a horrible overheating problem. It is an HP G60 2009 series netbook. What would you suggest I do about the overheating issue? Does it make sense to order a recovery disc for it since my recovery drive was knocked out?

Thanks Guys!

Note: I have had this computer upgraded, downgraded, repaired, restored and taken apart a few times. Also this isn't my own computer in the picture above just another one like it.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
whether the recovery disc works without the recovery partition depends on the computer -- some of them have all the necessary recovery data on the optical disc, while others just contain the restore program and attempt to read all the data from the hidden partition that you may no longer have.

As far as overheating is concerned: If it's still under warranty, that would be the manufacturer's problem to fix.

Most likely causes for overheating:
- Clogged air vents (dust, cat hair, etc.)
- Bad fan (bad bearings can cause the fans to stall intermittently, leading to heat buildup)
- Sloppy build quality (some manufacturers use WAY to much heatsink goop, which works entirely counterproductive
- Faulty temperature sensor, in which case the machine doesn't realize it's getting hot and won't engage or speed up the fans

something else to check is the BIOS of the machine, some of them allow you to tweak fan speeds / desired temperature settings. Since fans can be loud, they often are set to run in a slower quiet mode when the machine is cool enough.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Its warrenty ran out almost a year before I got the machine. HP says that the only reason to buy a recovery disc set is if the partition thingy was erased from the hard drive or something. I guess that could mean that I have a good chance on restoring it? The disc set itself contains: VISTA PREMIUM 32B SP1 + SU
It was only $16 for the disc set. Should I be worried about the price? If Hewlett Packard charges $16 for a recovery disc set should this be a bargain or rip? What are some ways to prevent hard drive failures and blue screens or crashes? Could installing an antivirus and registry cleaner help?

Thanks again for your help xlsior :)

EDIT: Should I be programming on a netbook pc anyway???

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Aside from what xlsior said, how do you know for sure that it's overheating? A BSOD could be caused by almost anything from dodgy RAM or a faulty PSU, to dry joints on the motherboard itself.

That said, in that picture I see no air vents on the side, which makes me think they're on the bottom. Using a laptop on your lap (which I guess is why they call them 'notebooks' nowadays), will cause it to overheat due to your legs completely cutting off the airflow. So, don't do that.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
The air vents are on the back of the machine not on the bottom. It hasn't but one vent and it is almost as if the fan doesn't cool it at all. I had been using a cooling pad that you plug in via usb and it doesn't seem to help. Are there Any other suggestions?

Thanks GfK :)

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
How would one have the vent or fan or whatever is causing this replaced with a more functional part or something like that?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#7]
With laptops it isn't that simple. CPU fans are normally a bespoke part, so any replacement you get will have to be identical to the one removed.

I'd turn the laptop off, get a vacuum cleaner with the flat nozzle attachment, and stick it over the air vent for 10 seconds. That will clear out any dust that might have accumulated in there.

If that doesn't work then it's going to need dismantling. This can be easy or hard, depending on the laptop - some just need the keyboard off while others need completely stripping. Replace the fan/heatsink (it's normally a single unit) using a good quality thermal paste using a very thin layer (don't trowel it on).

[edit] I strongly recommend you don't dismantle a laptop unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing. There are lots of delicate connectors on the motherboard - break one and you're stuffed.

[edit again] Looking at this, replacing it won't be a quick or simple job.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
Another word of warning: Dismanteling a laptop can be very tricky, and you need to take exceptional care that you won't crack the plastic bezels anywhere when taking them apart.

Also be very careful documenting which screws came from where - many laptops use several sizes screws, and trying to insert the wrong screw in the wrong hole when putting it back together can be very bad... (Too long of a screw in the wrong hole and you could end up touching internals and shorting out the whole thing)

As far as the rest is concerned: An anti-virus program is pretty much a necessity on a windows PC these days. If you don't have one already, I'd strongly recommend getting one. Microsoft has a free antivirus program that's actually surprisingly good (Microsoft Security Essentials).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials
Alternatively, there is AVG Free which isn't bad either. Norton and McAfee used to be decent in the past but are very bloated these days.

A lot of the registry 'cleaners' can do more harm than good when they remove things that turn out to be necessary after all. I would recommend doing a scan against spyware/malware, though, if you haven't already. Try MalwareBytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Finally, are you really sure that it is actually overheating? Like Gfk mentioned, there are MANY other potential causes for that problem. On the BSOD itself there is normally an error number that may indicate the source of the problem. Next time it crashes, take a look at the error.
Typically it lists an actual problem code (e.g. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA), a STOP code (e.g. 0x00000050) and a program/driver name (e.g. SPCMDCON.SYS) You can ignore pretty much everything else. Googling for those particular items may help determine the actually cause of the problem...
(Although there are many 'mystery' hardware problems that will be impossible to diagnose by software, e.g. leaking capacitors on the motherboard (buldging, brown or white discoloration) can cause all kinds of random instability.)

You can also try taking windows out of the equation -- for example, download Memtest86, http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
This is a memory test program that you can run straight from CD or floppy without booting into windows at all. If there IS bad memory in your computer, memtest will find it. If there isn't and the system can run memtest for an extended time without crashes, then it may indicate that the problem is not the hardware itself but that windows may be to blame.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
windows may be to blame.

Another reason I will never buy another computer running windows again.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
YAY!!!!! IT IS NOW WORKING FULLY!!!! I AM USING IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big10p(Posted 2012) [#11]
Posts and nicks in all capitals is annoying. Just FYI.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#12]
YAY!!!!! IT IS NOW WORKING FULLY!!!!

So, what ended up fixing it? Just reinstalling the OS?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
So, what ended up fixing it? Just reinstalling the OS?

No, My recovery discs came late yesterday and now It is fixed, recovery partition and all. The 2 disc set restored my system within a couple of hours. My recovery drive is back, my hard drive and everything that came on the computer when I first got it. I'm so happy about it! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#14]
So, nothing to do with overheating then.

By the way: don't forget to install am AntiVirus program before it get botched again

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#15]
By the way: don't forget to install am AntiVirus program before it get botched again

My computer still has Norton Antivirus 60 day trial 2009 installed on the recovery drive. Is there anything else I should be sure to do or not to do to take good care of my system?

EDIT: I will be sure to try out that antivirus you told me about after the 60 run out again. :)

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#16]
>>My computer still has Norton Antivirus 60 day trial 2009 installed on the recovery drive. Is there anything else I should be sure to do or not to do to take good care of my system?

Yes, get rid of norton antivirus. Microsoft Security Essentials is far better, smaller, and free.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#17]
Before I get rid of Norton, Can doing so cause a problem with my system?

big10p(Posted 2012) [#18]
Just get rid of Norton. It's worse than having an actual virus. Just install a good alternative, as Gfk suggests.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#19]
Alright I installed Security Essentials and I like it. It doesn't annoy me like others do. :)

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#20]
Before I get rid of Norton, Can doing so cause a problem with my system?

Uninstalling it may make you dizzy because your computer runs so much faster after removing Norton from it.

(I'm convinced that Norton's primary form of defense is making a virus feel too embarrassed to install itself on a machine that already runs Norton at the same time)

There's a reason Norton pays companies to bundle their product with new computers -- If they had to compete on actual merits they probably couldn't survive.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#21]
xlsior, you just made my day with that Norton remark. Have a hug from me. XD

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#22]
lol