Is Microsoft Office 2010 Starter free?

Community Forums/General Help/Is Microsoft Office 2010 Starter free?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

Is Microsoft Office 2010 Starter free? Is it for win 7?
If so, where is the download link?

Thanks in advance

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#2]
Office Starter 2010 is only available to original equipment manufacturers (OEM) for preloading on Windows PCs and is intended to replace Microsoft Works. It is only compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2010

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#3]
Honestly, if you're willing to settle for "starter" editions, your needs will probably be served perfectly well by LibreOffice or something similar.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thank you for your tips.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
Office 2010 Starter Edition is no more than a demo of Office 2010 to entice you into paying for the full version. It's usable but heavily feature-limited, and you'd be better off with OpenOffice since it's compatible with most if not all Office file formats anyway.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks, Gfk.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
Actually -- You'd want to use LibreOffice, not OpenOffice. LibreOffice is *based* on openoffice, but after Oracle had a big spat with the OpenOffice developers they pretty much all packed up and moved to their own fork, called LibreOffice.

So the two are essentially the same, but LibreOffice is much better supported while OpenOffice is floundering around a bit at the moment.

Sokurah(Posted 2011) [#8]
I'm using Office 2010 Starter Edition. It may be heavily feature-limited, but I just don't need any of those features it doesn't have anyway.
But I do have 100% compatability with Microsoft Office which is what most people use, so I'm pretty content using it. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#9]
Libre office (in conjunction with google docs) is what i use now. It is the more open fork of open office. Since oracle took over sun microsystems, oo.o started to suffer a bit imo and has got a lot less popular in many circles.So the faithfull took the last non sun gpl and forked it off (or somethig like that.. )

MsO is really not worth the money in my opinion for 99% ofwhat people want an office product for, even the free version as it is so hobbled it offers less than some free rivals which are designed to compete closer to the full version.

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
Office 2010 starter is a demo of the actual full version so that you can experience some of it's latest features before you buy it. I uninstalled office starter and installed office 2003 and everything works fine for me. I would recommend using 2003 or 2007 versions of office over 2010 any day. ;)