How to sell Blitz3D license?

Community Forums/General Help/How to sell Blitz3D license?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#1]
I am not saying that I will sell my license, But I am just wondering how one could go about doing this. I need to know how it can be done and if it can be done.

Thank You!,
Austin H.

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#2]
You may need to get permission from Blitz Research Limited before transferring the license. You'll also need to get them to transfer the Blitz User ID for the product to the new owner for you.

None of this should be a problem. I recall transferring ownership of my copy of BlitzPlus to my nephew a few years ago, and it all went smoothly. Just get in touch with BRL using the contact form on this site. I've provided a link to the contact form page below.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Contact/_index_.php

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks Zethrax :)
Very Nicely said. :)

H&K(Posted 2011) [#4]
Mark seems quite chilled about this, (more than I would be anyway), But I would like to point out, "Transferring ownership to Nephew", and "Sell my licence, are two different things.

I think it was Dom joly, (but it could have been Ann Other), bought a hundred Hamburgers from MacDonald, then gave then away free in the MacDonald car park. And MacDonald complained that he was taken business from them.

(I think it was, if he took an order for a hamburger, nipped into macies and bought one, and gave that away. Then he wasn't stealing business. If on the other hand he bought the hamburger and propositioned people as they were approaching then he was taking a sale from them

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#5]
What I meant was transfer

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#6]
Transferring the license and selling it are pretty much the same thing. There's still only one copy of the license kicking around, and chances are the person who ends up buying it wouldn't have bought it otherwise, so there's no sale lost to BRL and probably some additional word of mouth promotion gained.

Plenty of people have sold their licenses for Blitz products in the past and there were no problems with that from BRL's end. It's a no harm-no foul situation.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thanks Zethrax :)

H&K(Posted 2011) [#8]
Its not a no harm no foul situation, its a some harm no foul called situation.

As I said in my post Mark seems chilled about it, and its his call. I however consider it very discourteous to post as "sell my licence", and that BRL could if they wanted to, take a stronger stance. (And Austin then indicated he meant "transfer", which whether he meant it or not is simply a more polite way of asking)

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#9]
BRL could if they wanted to, take a stronger stance.
As long as the law allows for it, BRL really doesn't have much say in somebody transferring or selling their license. However, just because they can't prevent a sale doesn't mean they have to offer support and upgrades to the new licensee.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#10]
I however consider it very discourteous to post as "sell my licence"

Yeah, I'm quite ok with the concept - since Mark, as you say, seems cool about it - but I do find it incredibly disrespectful that people effectively advertise the product on a site paid for by the person they're doing out of a sale. If they asked Mark for permission in email and then go and sell it on eBay, I don't see anything wrong with that. Asking the guy they're doing out of a sale to pay for them to undercut him and advertise as much seems way over the line to me. Naturally, I'm sure everyone would say "I'm not advertising it, I just asked here because the contact form looked like it was broken and I know it's working now but it definitely didn't look like it was working when I tried it and besides, I wasn't sure if Mark spoke English, and it'd be rude to just ask him when I could make a public issue of it to try and force his hand." But yeah, seems pretty discourteous, to say the least, to me.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#11]
Why bother? you won't get much for it anyway... im hanging on to mine regardless.

-And what gabriel said. (and I fully believe in the resale of licences, which imo are -your- property to do with as you wish, but do it on ebay, not here)

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#12]
you won't get much for it anyway... im hanging on to mine regardless.

good point. I think i'll hang on to my license then.