How hard can it be?

Community Forums/General Help/How hard can it be?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#1]
What is the easiest Free modeler that can animate? I had been using the 3DCrafter and blender but have an awful issue with mesh animation. Is there anything easier to use available? I have all of my models made in the .X file format but not animated. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot! :)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#2]
Blender.
maybe Daz Studio, but you'll have to pay for models.

Everything else costs money. I use Lightwave and Messiah 3D.
Most people use 3DSMax or Maya.
The easiest would be Poser Pro with built-in animations. Maybe Carrara.

EDIT:
Some game people swear by Fragmotion, and it's affordable:
http://www.fragmosoft.com/

Also look at BVH files or motion capture:
http://www.animstreet.com/
http://www.ipisoft.com/

When it comes to 3D animation, nothing is easy! Take it from me, I worked with a professional team for many years doing special effects.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#3]
Take it from me, I worked with a professional team for many years doing special effects.

Wow! that must have been very difficult.
Thanks for those links Adam. :)

EDIT: I have a valid copy of 3DS Max 9 but never really learned how to sculpt meshes in it. :(

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#4]
It's like wearing a new shoe. You need to invest more time in it so that it feels like you've been wearing it since you were born.

If you have 3DS Max available then go for it. It's a very comfortable shoe.

EDIT ---------------------------
Take it from me, I worked with a professional team for many years doing special effects.

Do you have a bachelor's degree in something? I'm very interested in the educational path for this profession.

Last edited 2011

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#5]

Do you have a bachelor's degree in something? I'm very interested in the educational path for this profession.

Demo reel, demo reel, demo reel!

I was a production manager, hired and managed all the SFX guys, but I assume you're interested in the creative production.

No degree necessary, but it helps to be exposed to the harsh critiquing which is why schooling and peer exposure helps. Technical colleges (or whatever) are great, or even single classes here and there as long as the instructors are good critiques-- it helps develop that "creative eye" which distinguishes between what looks good and what looks bad. It's very common for the CD or AD to walk up to your work and say "this looks like sh*t, we need to redo it so we're giving it to someone else to complete". Too many entry-level don't have this exposure and get burnt out quickly.

Choose a school where you see that the most recent graduates have the best work, stuff you want to do, and that's the right place to go. If you don't have money for school, find the BEST demo reels and try to remake them.

EDIT:
If you're in Brazil, Axis looks good since they're teaming up with Gnomon ( amazing on-line education). Also Brazil is taking in a lot of work, so not a bad place to be right now.

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#6]
Great post Adam, thanks.

Cya.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#7]
Adam, I used Blender to some good effect making a dwarf do sit-ups. Have also got a copy of Messiah which is pretty awesome although I simply haven't had the time to use it fully yet.

I'd also recommend Blender.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#8]
I would recommend blender too and there is loads of YouTube tutorials on it

Last edited 2011