Got given an iPad today.

Community Forums/General Help/Got given an iPad today.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#1]
We have had a few at work and one guy quit so I inherited it for personal use.
Well, I have set it up but cannot find anything in the market/store that allows me to browse smb, nfs or afp shares so I can copy stuff like movies songs books and general docs to it. I know I can't use it as a disk, but there must be some way of getting files on and off it.

What is the trick so I can access my files? I m going to oz in a few weeks and thought I would take this with me as it is convenient to carry.

Ps, I know about filebrowser but it is not what I am looking for as it does not allow me to open files with installed apps.

Last edited 2011

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#2]
If you want to treat it like a computer the only trick I can think of is to swap it for a Samsung Tab.

To copy your music library onto it you will need to use iTunes, detect / register the device, then drag the files into the devices library node in the tree view on the left (from desktop not tablet).

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
You can jailbreak it. Bye bye warranty though.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Dropbox would easily allow you to sync a folder on your computer with your tablet. Get the dropbox program on your computer, share a folder, and install the dropbox app on your tablet: Any file you throw in the shared folder on your comnputer will automagically appear on your tablet.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#5]
Look for the apps "FileBrowser" or "Files Connect". I use them on an SMB share.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#6]
I have got file browser but it does not work for videos or other media formats. Also it seems you need to copy any file to the pad before you can open it which is a little annoying.
Jailbreaking is unfortunately not an option because it is not really mine, it is the companies.

Ps I don't really want to use ITunes because I can only use it on my mac.. I cannot use it on my main workstation or server which is where all my stuff is stored. I know the limitations of iPhone but I was kinda hoping the iPad would be a halfway house.

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#7]
iOS devices don't work like a computer, they work like iOS devices. The biggest difference is there is NO user file system. This means you can't put files on it. So... wtf? how do you use it then? Answer: you put files in apps... to programmers familiar with non Apple platforms this is silly, but it's an extension of the sandboxing system essentially. Apps can only access stuff inside their own little world, making it very very hard to something nasty (if anyone nasty gets through apple to begin with...) to run amuck on the system.

In practical terms you either have to push data into an app through an interface provided by the app (most file storage apps have an SMB or similar mode to let you copy files into them), through iTunes into the device librarys if the data is compatible with iTunes (pictures, music and properly formatted video), or via iTunes into the file area of apps that support this (check your applications tab in iTunes, at the bottom you will have access to the apps that support document access and you can add/remove files in them there). Once a document is in an application the application is responsible from then on... don't shove text into a movie player, or movies into a text editor and expect success... For movies VLC was (might still be but I don;t think so) on the app store and is fantastic, I'm sure there are some alternatives but I haven't had to look them up since I snagged VLC a while ago :0)

Regarding your data on the server, and not wanting to use itunes. you can tell itunes not to copy things into it's library, but rather leave them where they are. If you can mount your storage location over a network, etc. you can then add the content to iTunes (keeping it it place, just teaching iTunes where to find it over the network basically) and then sync from there. Poke the iTunes settings to get started.

The iPad is a jumped up iPod touch, which is itself and iPhone without the phone. Unless you want to jailbreak you have to play by the rules, and if you do jailbreak don't expect everything to work as intended (can't just shove music onto the device and expect it to be visible in the music player which is a curated database... it wasn't designed for that.)

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
Speaking of Tablets:

HP announced they are having a final batch of the HP Toughpad WebOS tablets coming up for sale, this time through their EBay store, 2 devices max. per buyer. Refurbished, $99 for 16GB, $149 for 32GB.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/report-hps-99-touchpad-to-return-again-in-hp-ebay-store/2011/12/08/gIQAqprHfO_story.html

(There is already a cyanogenmod Android port that will let you dual-boot between Android and WebOS on these devices. Hardware-wise the Toughpads are much nicer than the other cheap tablets)

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#9]
I tried to give it back today but they said i may as well hang on to it until they get some galaxies (they have 2 8" and 1 10" on order so hopefully i can get one of those instead) Unfortunately they will not be in before i go to australia so may just buy a bigger SD card for my Archos tablet or a cheap netbook or something that is actually useful.

I must be the only person on the planet who gets a "free" one of these things and doesn't really want it :D

Last edited 2011

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#10]
I must be the only person on the planet who gets a "free" one of these things and doesn't really want it :D

You're certainly the only person I know who goes out of his way to demand things from Apple devices that he knows full well - judging from previous comments he's made in numerous threads - it won't do just so that he's got a good excuse to moan about it. A friend said to me a few months ago that Apple-haters are actually more feverishly religious in their anti-Apple activities than the so-called Sheeple they so disparagingly regard. I couldn't agree at the time, but you're making me wonder if he wasn't right.

Warner(Posted 2011) [#11]
Maybe you can try and keep everything you do on it webbased? Originally, these devices were intended for that usage. After that, they moved to Apps.
Does it allow to store websites offline? If so, I would create an offline collection of webbased utilities: painting program, programming language and music maker.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
@gabriel if somebody cannot say what they think of something without the real fanboys jumping on them then all I can say is....
Whatever.
Funny thing is, I am not really anti anything which is why I own an iPhone 3 and 4, a MacBook pro, 2 android phones, an android tablet, 2 windows machines, 2 Linux machines.?.. And now an iPad.

The Mac is useful (although mine is kinda broke right now) but I do like some things about it.
As for the iPhone it's ok for people that own just one computer... However I mistakenly thought the iPad would offer something more.. My mistake I guess. Name any one of the above devices and I can give both negatives and positives but as for me being religiously anti apple....
... Don't think so otherwise why would I have bought them (iPad excluded)

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#13]
You can jailbreak it.

I agree with GfK, Really you could just jailbreak your ipad and access everything. Your warranty wouldn't be any good but it is well worth it. Check some iOS homebrew sites and look for a jailbreak guide. ;)

EDIT: It really sounds like you have been having a lot of problems lately with Apple Computer products. What's the deal there?

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#14]
I was dithering a bit over whether to suggest this, because it's a bit off-topic for your specific case, but whatever. Rather nice VNC client that makes an iPad actually useful: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/remoter-remote-desktop-vnc/id369626098?mt=8

Really you could just jailbreak your ipad and access everything.

I would be hesitant to do this with what is technically someone else's machine.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#15]
@cpt wicker Yes, I have... unlucky i guess

@ yasha been using splashtop and yes its does make it useful.. but kind of defeats the object ;D

Last edited 2011

Amon(Posted 2011) [#16]
Got to agree with Gabriel here. I've noticed it not just recently but since knowing D4NM4N on the forum.

@D4NM4N; You're an intelligent guy but let yourself down when you behave like this. Like Gabe says you know fully well what is involved owning an apple product yet portray ignorance + a moan when you start threads like this.

Let yourself chill and offer yourself the opportunity to enjoy things that you acquire freely even if they're made by apple.

P.S Linux is not a operating system but a hacked together spaghetti code mess that requires brain death before you can get it to work with anything.. ^^

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#17]
I rarely diss unless it is about something I feel is seriously lacking or has seriously pissed me off.. But hey I am human not a frigging vulkan.

I know -full- well what is involved in owning 3 apple products, a mac (useful in many ways) and 2 iPhones whos novelty wore off fairly quickly, although i do use them for titanium development/testing.
-I have had little experience with the ipad i am afraid.

As for chilling out, I generally am chilled out, and i would enjoy it if i could do something with it other than email, games and web without what appears to be a heap of hassle. I want my music, videos, ebooks to be easily transferable, which is what the post is about. If you don't have an answer then i suggest you stop trying to wind me up and simply say...
"you can't", which is basically the answer i needed.

As for your little off topic trolly "PS" on linux, all i can say is ... I agree! ALL operating systems are all a hacky spagetti code mess, it is called legacy. But all are great -and- awful in their own ways, which is why depending on what i am doing, use ALL of them with a centralized filesystem.

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#18]
LOL! :D

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#19]
I couldn't agree at the time, but you're making me wonder if he wasn't right.
I can't really speak for Dan here, but in general I'd say your mate was absolutely right. The old "haters gonna hate" speaks true of many situations, Apple products being one of them. I can understand having a bit of a bitch and a moan now and then, but I've never understood the need to flog a dead horse.

I m going to oz in a few weeks...
Tell the Wizard I said hi.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#20]
lol ^_^ ......... The wonderful wizard of oz!!!
Good one Adam! :P

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#21]
-"I can't really speak for Dan here, but in general I'd say your mate was absolutely right. The old "haters gonna hate" speaks true of many situations, Apple products being one of them."

I would generally agree. (on all levels and platforms)