Why can i not remove the battery from my mac?

Community Forums/General Help/Why can i not remove the battery from my mac?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#1]
My macbook pro died tonight. It beachballed on me and i restarted it. It now turns on with black and white stripes vertical stripes.. Now, i have seen this issue on other PCs and have on occasion totally powered down the laptop (taken battery out) waited 2-3 minutes and all is well again.

However, when i take the back off my macbook i see a big warning label

"Warning do not remove battery!!"

WTF why not?? I didn't incase it has some kind of warranty spring behind it or something.

Anyone have any info on this?

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
what is "beachballed"? Dropped it and it bounced?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#3]
a BBOD!

"beach ball of death" :D (the one where the "rainbow beachball cursor" spins and stops moving, the screen goes greyer and nothing you do can help.. except the 6 second special)

UPDATE:

FFS!!!

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/22408/Does+User+Replacement+of+Battery+Void+Applecare+Warranty

This is yet another reason i will NEVER buy another apple product. >:(

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#4]
Simple fix. Format your harddrive and reinstall OSX. Have you installed windows over it? That can usually cause problems if you are running OSX Puma or Cheetah. :)

You might could get a copy of Lion for around $35.99 at some retailers. Do you have an active warranty? Of course you could just have it repaired... :P

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#5]
NM.. misread.

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#6]
Iirc the 'official' reason for the non-replacable batteries is that allowed then to shave off another millimeter of thickness or so.

Sometimes apples uses form over function to a fault... But they sure look shiny in the showroom.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
Here is the issue.
http://www.youtube.com/user/grafixphantom?feature=mhee

I have seen this kind of thing before on PCs and have reset it by taking the battery out (to ensure gfx hardware is fully powered down). This is why I wanted to take the battery out. I have also tried resetting the NVRAM with "cmd-opt-p-r" but no joy.
On the other hand it is more likely a fried monitor connection or GFX HW. (but still it would have been nice to try)

Simple fix. Format your harddrive and reinstall OSX. Have you installed windows over it? That can usually cause problems if you are running OSX Puma or Cheetah. :)

.... o_O

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#8]
You could just have it repaired for a low fee...

EDIT: Well if this is your mac in the vid I cant say much for it. The best thing that I cant think of would be to send it to a repait crew like the Geek Squad. On the other hand I have experienced issues like this with a mac that had an nvidia geforce card installed, it was good for something after all though. I sold it for parts! Lol :(

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#9]
Surely if it's under warranty you can have it replaced by Apple?

If it's no longer under warranty, you could just ignore the label?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#10]
Yes it is my mac in the video.

I can get it repaired it is under warranty (otherwise it would be in bits already!), although it annoys me that i cannot try the "usual suspects" myself before having to wait for a joe to look at it. I have been told it may take ages because they have to send it to amsterdam or somewhere >:(

Takes the piss a bit if you ask me. (Kind of fujitsu-siemens bad) but you would think all the money you part with for these things they could at least give you a lease machine or something (as you obviously are not paying for quality*).

*The only high quality i can see on this thing is the aluminium case and the screen (when working :D ) Perhaps i have been lucky in the past, but i out of the 30 odd laptops i have ever owned I have only had 2 machines totally crap out on me within the first 2 years (excluding hdd, ram and battery failures, which i would rather just fix myself from spares rather than wait for warranty joe!) One was a f-siemens and the other an apple mac. (all the dells, hps, acers and asus-es have been relatively awesome).

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#11]
It could be a virus, then again UNIX systems aren't supposed to get viruses... I would just wait for it to be repaired and use a friends computer. :) If you got your crappy machine from Best Buy it could have been screwed up before you even got it. I have had this happen with my old HP G60 netbook. :( I would have to say that coding on a netbook/laptop can take a lot out of your internal system. I find it best to code on a desktop PC.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
I can guarantee 99.9999999999999999999999% it is not a virus. And it was bought from a mac store.

edit:
I have narrowed it down to either a dodgy screen or internal connection. GFX hw seems ok....

I have found it works using the hdmi dongle if i switch it on and...
-let it boot invisibly into osx,
-type password,
-shut lid,
-let it sleep,
-plug in power,
-plug in usb kbd and dongle,
-tap keys
-wait until it wakes up
-use the TV..

go Mac! :/

Well, that is OSX 50% sorted but I guess I will have to wait until i can get it fitted with new screen to use Ubuntu and Windows (bugger).

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Last edited 2011

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#13]
You should plug a pink coloured (it has to be pink coloured, the computer can tell) USB memory stick. The memory stick must contain a text file, saved as a jpg, containing the text:

"cmd<autofix>"

Remember, it NEEDS to be pink. Then try and reinstalling Windows Vista over the top. That should sort you out.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#14]
You don't need to remove the battery. all you have to do is lift the big black plug with the black wires closest to the battery and plug it back on. I am not saying it will work or that it won't void the warranty but is a lot simpler than removing the triad head screws from the battery and technically its' not removing the battery.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#15]
Actually it appears they have thought of that too, it has a side facing plug that cannot be pulled out unless you take out the battery (although i established already that that would probably not help as it is most defo a monitor failure).

It's kind of under control now, The apple guy who came last week did try to put the disk in another mac last week but no joy, mainly because even though the other mac was almost identical it had a thunderbolt port so OSX died on boot! However, the Apple guy came back today and gave me a really old loan mac which does unfortunately not have an i7 processor like mine just a core2duo, but at least it boots using my HDD despite being slow as hell.

Hopefully by the time i come back from my holiday it should be back and fixed so we can swap the disks back.

Last edited 2011