MSN Messenger

Community Forums/General Help/MSN Messenger

pc_tek(Posted 2011) [#1]
I remember an older version of MSN Messenger last year about march-may time. This version allowed the sharing of files from a special folder.

If a friend decided to share a file, all they did was copy the file to the shared folder and it would be downloaded to the other users computer...or at least a thumbnail?

Is this true?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#2]
The Cloud. still there as far as I know.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
Don't know about MSN messenger, but that automatic folder sharing is exactly what Dropbox does. It allows you to create a folder, and share subfolders with one or more other people. Any changes made to that folder are replicated to the computers of all the participants, including ipads or other tablets if you download the dropbox app.

_PJ_(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yeah, I was saddened to see that "synchronisation"-style folder sharing feature was removed too. It happened about three years ago now.

Although I kept the setup installation files for that old version, Microsoft enforced something so that it's no longer possible to run that version of messenger let alone share anything :(

I can only assume that someone somewhere thought it was too exploitable or something, maybe a lawsuit was involved on the way, too. Was a shame though, and an annoyance.

Anyway, as suggested, DropBox is ideal for similar sharing and is actually better supported in my opiinion :)

pc_tek(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks all for the information...:)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#6]
I was under the impression that they removed it to add cloud storage, in a nut shell instead of the file being saved locally and then shared to your friends they now save the files on a server, the cloud and your friends can get at them any time they like.

I might be wrong tho, I stopped using msn before all that happened.