SSD's

Community Forums/General Help/SSD's

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
If I were to buy a SATA-III SSD, would it function (at a slower speed) on SATA-II motherboard, or would it just not work at all?

[edit] A lot of sites claims backwards-compatibility, but I want to double-check because when I bought a SATA-II HDD to work on a SATA motherboard, I had a world of pain getting it to do anything.

Last edited 2011

andy_mc(Posted 2011) [#2]
Yes, I just bought a Sata 3 Corsair Force 3 120gb ssd and it works fine on my laptops sata 2 connection. IF you've not got an ssd yet then you don't know what you're missing.

Last edited 2011

PGF(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yes. I have a SATA 3 Crucial M4 256Gb SSD running on a SATA 2 motherboard.

No problems so far.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2011) [#4]
Check with the drive manufacturer, if the drive manufacturer says it's backwards compatible with SATA II then you are pretty safe.

Darkheart

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
Well, went for a look in Pissy Werld earlier while i was out, and they did not have a single SSD in stock. I mean, wtf??

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
Just ordered a 120gb OCZ from Amazon for £130 which seems like a good price per GB.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
It's backwards compatible, all SATA-III drives should work on a SATA-II controller. (Likewise, SATA-II drives will work on a SATA-I controller)

Most of the latest generation high-speed SSD's can get ~550MB/sec on SATA-3 , or ~275MB/sec on SATA-2, with the usual caveats.

My 120GB OCZ vertex 2 SSD (SATA2) was marketed as 285MB/sec, but actual benchmarks on my own computer are closer to half that (~135MB/sec). It did noticably decreased my boot times and such, though, even though stricktly going by the benchmark numbers there didn't appear to be that much difference in ratings.

Note: If you replace your HD, make sure that you also change your BIOS setting to use AHCI mode instead of IDE for the sata port that you connect it to, or performance will be degraded for sure. Also note that windows will not allow you to change the mode of it's OS drive after the fact, which means that if windows was originally installed in IDE mode, you'll have to reinstall from scratch if you want to boot of an AHCI drive and can't just clone your old OS over and call it good.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#8]
Thanks for the tip, i'm due a reinstall anyway.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#9]
Well, all up and running again with me shiny new OCZ Agility. My system now boots up to the login screen (after I type my startup password at POST) in 9 seconds!

One thing I kind of miss, is the hard drive clunking away when I'm installing stuff. The HD access light on my case is bust, so I got no other way of knowing if anything's still happening. Apart from that, great!

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#10]
One thing I kind of miss, is the hard drive clunking away when I'm installing stuff. The HD access light on my case is bust, so I got no other way of knowing if anything's still happening. Apart from that, great!

My audio card is very low-grade. It probably lacks shielding or something like that, so whenever the CPU or HD is doing some heavy work I can hear specific types of noises. Something as simple as moving the mouse can reproduce an audible response, albeit very quiet - it doesn't get in the way of actual things you might be hearing, such as music or sound.
I use this "feature" a lot; it's like your computer is communicating with you. IMO it's awesome.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#11]
There's bound to be taskbar gadgets out there that mimick an HDD LED.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#12]
There's bound to be taskbar gadgets out there that mimick an HDD LED.
Probably. My case has a stupid door on the front though which is a pain in the arse - especially if I accidentally try to eject a CD with the door closed.

I might just get a new case at some point. :)

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#13]
Why do you keep going back to Pissy Werld? You like the pain? :P :D

GfK(Posted 2011) [#14]
Why do you keep going back to Pissy Werld? You like the pain? :P :D
I was in the vicinity so just went for a look. Its very rare I actually get owt from there!

[edit] Oh, got a new case coming from CCL tomorrow \o/

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#15]
Btw - where's your email addy gone?!

andy_mc(Posted 2011) [#16]
Gfk, welcome to the world of SSD's, you'll never want an HDD again! You may notice other improvements, like I find browsing is slightly faster, and switching betweens apps is faster, compiling apps should be a little quicker too.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#17]
Meh, one thing that hdds are better still is size - good luck finding affordable TB+ size add drives...

(although hdd prices are through the roof at the moment thanks to the flooding in Thailand: I've bought quite a few 2tb drives in the past year for $79.99, and now the going rate jumped to $200+.
Pretty much all hdds go for 2-3 times what they did last summer... Except the ssds, those got cheaper in the mean time.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#18]
Yeah the cost per gb is still quite high. My old hdd OS drive had 55gb on it so it seemed a bit daft getting a 60gb ssd as it'd be almost full straight away. I still use an external hdd for backups etc.

Regarding large capacity storage, i wouldn't want 1tb+ of data on a single unit anyway. The potential for colossal data loss doesn't bear thinking about.

PGF(Posted 2011) [#19]
I put a 256Gb SSD in my main desktop PC. Plenty of space for OS + Apps + normal data.

At the same time I put in a NAS with 4 * 2Tb drives for the bulkier storage requirements. After RAID that is 6Tb available. The drives were only about $75 each when I picked them up. The NAS unit was a lot more but it is nice and should do for quite a while.

All PCs and the NAS are on a Gigabit switch.

PC data files are reflected to the NAS and that is backed up weekly to portable 2Tb drives directly connected on a USB 3 port (fast). Backups rotate offsite. When the NAS has more than 2Tb of files to be backed up, there will probably be larger drives ready or I'll be more selective.

Storage is sorted for now.

Last edited 2011

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2011) [#20]
I've been using SSD's for my main OS disk for ~3.5 years now and I wouldn't go back. IMHO for mass storage it's a waste, just slap a couple of large disks on RAID 1 together for main storage.

Darkheart

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#21]
I dunno... I think I removed it because someone kept bothering me via email.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#22]
I removed mine because of THE HARVEST. Im still getting shitty phishing spam, because of it.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#23]
I dunno... I think I removed it because someone kept bothering me via email.
*hides* :/

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#24]
I removed mine because of THE HARVEST. Im still getting shitty phishing spam, because of it.
I seem to have missed this little gem of news. Harvest? Sounds intriguingly sci-fi.