Photography hangouts

Community Forums/General Help/Photography hangouts

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
Taking a bit of a time-out between games and I've been picking up the camera a bit more of late. Just ordered myself one of these little beauties as my 250mm is struggling a bit with my choice of subject*. But I digress...

Anybody recommend a decent, non-elitist photography forum (a UK one) to pick up tips and ideas etc? I know there's at least a couple of 'togs here somewhere.

[edit] * since I just made myself sound like a peeping tom, to clarify, my main subjects are wildlife and aircraft.

Last edited 2011

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
Non elitist ? :-)
That's probably why I haven't joined anything myself, as I half expect it to be a bit like that.

It's funny. I thought it might be interesting to join a photography club... but when I looked at my local Solihull website I thought, hell, if that isn't going to be totally elitist.

Is that 500mm full frame?

I have a wonderful 100-300mm, which gives me an effective 600mm with my camera's x2 crop factor. It's my favourite lens :-)

Anyway, back on topic. No idea.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
My 450D has a 1.6x crop factor so that gives me an effective 800mm to play with.

I couldn't really fault my Canon 55-250mm lens but when I'm doing a lot of my shooting at nature reserves and RAF bases, it is physically impossible to get as close as I'd like to. I'm also finding that the Sigma OS is far superior to the Canon IS, even when shooting at 500mm its pretty easy to get sharp handheld shots. Plus it has two OS modes - full OS, and horizontal only, which is perfect for taking pics of planes taking off.

By the way, I got my lens from http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/ - didn't post the link before as I hadn't used them before and wanted to see how good they were first. I ordered my lens on Sunday afternoon and it was here Tuesday morning before 9am, and it was over £200 cheaper than anywhere else. As far as I'm aware all of their stuff is imported, hence the price so you might have to be careful on warranties with some things. Definitely recommend them though.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#4]
This is very interesting, my wife's looking for a lens for her 450 D, thanks for the info about procamerashop.

JBR(Posted 2011) [#5]
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks for the tip with the Sigma lens. I never knew that. Oh, and i'm the same. Haven't joined any photography forums, cause the ones I've looked on, all seem a bit up themselves...

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
Haven't joined any photography forums, cause the ones I've looked on, all seem a bit up themselves...
Same. I got banned from one (surprise!) for saying as much.

Anyhoo, I took this shot last Saturday (12 Nov) at 500mm handheld. Range was probably about 25m. Not perfect, but not bad for a first outing.

JBR(Posted 2011) [#8]
GfK, only just joined myself, but looks like a nice forum.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk

Jim

GfK(Posted 2011) [#9]
That's the one I got banned from by a mod called "CT".

[edit] Arkady! That was the cretin's name at the root of it all! Just noticed he's banned as well. The site's surely a lot better without him.

Last edited 2011

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#10]

Anybody recommend a decent, non-elitist photography forum

Seems like people have a spot of bother with forums being snobby, so, my thinking is, get your heads together and start one up! :)

Dabz

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#11]
How does one get banned from a forum, exactly? Too much ego everywhere?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#12]
@GfK - what an unusual little animal (in the picture above) - is that a "mole"? Not seen anything that looks like that in Australia...

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#13]
Baby seal?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#14]
@gfk what on earth -is- that!?

It is way too cute. Looks like an albino seal with blue contacts and mascara :D
Although compared to the grass it looks really small.

You got me stumped!

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#15]
Its a baby seal - less than 48 hours old, apparently.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#16]

Its a baby seal - less than 48 hours old, apparently

So, in human years, it would have had 6 kids, a house, raking in benefits and managed to wade through 1000 litres of Lambrini! ;)

And if it was famous, wrote 3 biographies too! :D

Seriously, lovely pic, love seals, been to the farne islands a few times, gorgeous place!

Dabz

big10p(Posted 2011) [#17]
I love seals, too... but i couldn't eat a whole one! *boom boom*

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#18]
Cute seal.

Yeah, it can be difficult to get that close-up shot sometimes, especially without scaring off your subject. Here's a good example :

Hand-held at 300mm. Not sure of the distance, but I had to be very careful not to disturb them. The last thing you want is having to confront a group of frightened rocks... :-/

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#19]

The last thing you want is having to confront a group of frightened rocks... :-/

Very true, they are very territorial are rocks, especially when they have pebbles around, I've seen documentaries where the alpha male rock is challenged by another rock and some poor pebbles get caught underneath them when their fighting, and its not a pretty sight, there's granules of sand everywhere, horrific scenes they are!

Dabz

Last edited 2011

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#20]
cute ^_^