Making a dark Windows XP color scheme

Community Forums/General Help/Making a dark Windows XP color scheme

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#1]
I love using a dark XP color scheme, but I have never figured out how to change the color of menu text on inactive windows. No matter what I do, inactive windows show menu text in black. Is there a way to change this, like a Windows system color other than COLOR_MENUTEXT?

big10p(Posted 2011) [#2]
If it's at all possible, you will probably have to poke around in the registry, or something.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#3]
That's probably where he got COLOR_MENUTEXT from. That sounds like a registry value to me.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#4]
You use that with Get/SetSysColor.

After experimenting some more, I think the inactive menus use the window color, darkened a bit, so it's a procedural thing that assumes the user wants the text darker. Too bad, if it wasn't for that you could do some really nice color schemes.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#5]
Ever heard of Windows XP Dark Edition or Black Edition? (not that I would recommend using them)

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2011) [#6]
If you want to really go to town there is AshtonShell, never trusted shell replacements myself but they can look nice.

Darkheart

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
Ever heard of Windows XP Dark Edition or Black Edition? (not that I would recommend using them)
If you don't recommend using them, then why mention it?

This really isn't the place to be discussing knocked-off operating systems.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#8]
I don't like them myself

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#9]
I am sure the feeling is mutual.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#10]
I tried them but they completely taken out visual styles