Feedback - features? - * Strategy Game *

Community Forums/General Help/Feedback - features? - * Strategy Game *

Matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello all,

I've been working on a new game in the last week, which is a turn based strategy game. The target platform will initially be mobile phones (android) so the interface has to be fairly simple and the gameplay not too complicated.

The flash version can be found here: (2.8 MB)

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Etmalcolm/newgame/

I'm after feedback regarding the gameplay - in particular what additional features I can add to enhance the gameplay - make it more interesting without adding too much complication.

Some ideas that are floating around in my head are as follows:

- events - every so often an event happens like a plague/political event/wandering monster/etc

- alliances - offers to ally with AI opponents come up from time to time???

- terrain effects - fighting near woods/mountains benefits some races etc

- weather / seasons - each turn is a month of the year - changes graphics...gives some units advantages and disadvantages at diferent times of year (spring = more goblins reproduce/winter = fiends don't like the cold weather, summer = armoured knights lower stats due to excessive heat, ??

your thoughts & ideas???

Please be aware that the game is *far* from finished - lots of placeholder graphics, no victory/defeat condition currently and so on...no instructions...etc etc..ai pretty easy currently

On that note - how to play:
Select a race to play (possible to have PC v PC opponents ... currently no validation done against races chosen)

Click Play!

Select a city you own (goblins green huts, barbarians long medieval house, knights a church/cathedral, skeletons a ruined temple, fiends a gateway to the abyss).

Select build to build an army.

Select an adjacent square to move the army. One square per turn can be moved by an army. Capture cities/fight battles by moving army into relevant square.Armies can be merged but not unmerged.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions (in advance!)

A screenshot of the game is shown here:

Matty(Posted 2011) [#2]
Anyone tried this out....I posted it on Monday afternoon and still no feedback :-(

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've been out of town on business. No flash capabilities right now, will give it a try later in the week.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#4]
it seems ok so far

Matty(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks GaryV,

slenkar & others - any advice on what else needs to be included, or suggestions for additional features? (remembering that it is designed for phones so cannot be too complex or detailed).

Please note that the picture above is an old picture...there have been some slight changes since then....

from Matt

Matty(Posted 2011) [#6]
Anyone else tried it?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#7]
I will give a go and let you what I think as I love Strategy Game :)

Last edited 2011

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#8]
The Tutorials is Excellent on how to do it :)

Very Enjoyable game as bit like CIV game :)

The Zoom things is bit like hit and miss but it still work in progress on your game....

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#9]
I like the look of it from the screenshot and am going to have a quick play (rather than doing my own Dev... any excuse!)

Okay, I like your tutorial and the interface - great work. Have you thought about providing feedback to the user when they have exhausted their moves for that turn textually, something like "Moves exhausted, select End Turn".

It took mne a second to navigate to the 'x' when I was looking for an 'exit' button, this mighta been during the tutorial.

Good luck, looks very promising!

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#10]
Tutorial was good. I enjoyed the game, but at times it was too dark to see my player, even though I knew where he was.

I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thanks, all good feedback, will work on these during the week.

Warner(Posted 2011) [#12]
I wasn't able to start the game? The buttons don't respond, nor do they give a MouseOver state. I hear the music, and I got to the point where you can select either 'play' or 'tutorial'.
I tried running it from MacOSX10.5 with fireFox3.6.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#13]
Bizarre, it's just flash generated from Monkey..I don't have a Mac to test with so can't test it myself...

Warner(Posted 2011) [#14]
How are you embedding the .swf file on the site? When I looked at the source, I could see only an 'embed' tag holding the swf, that was placed in an 'object' tag with only width and height settings.
It might be that the embed tag is ignored by firefox when placed inside an object.
If so, try using something more like this:
<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" 
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" 
    WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" id="Yourfilename" ALIGN="">
 <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="Yourfilename.swf">
 <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
 <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#333399>
   <EMBED src="Yourfilename.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#333399
    WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" NAME="Yourfilename" ALIGN="" 
    TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" 
    PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
   </EMBED>
</OBJECT>

I tried Safari (MacOS's default), and there I was able to get further.
Looks good!

Last edited 2011

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#15]
The current embed code you have for the flash game won't work on older browsers, you'll have to use the stuff Warner posted above, it's more reliable.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#16]
Thanks - I didn't generate the embed code - I just used the stuff that monkey generates by itself, but thanks - I'll remember that for the next build.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#17]
Zoom fixed.
End turn now 'wobbles' when all units moved/all options exhausted
Darkness of sprites fixed (after move)
Colours for knights and undead changed to be a little lighter

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#18]
Will give the new version a try after work tomorrow. Am half asleep now and heading for bed.