Suggest a good guitar book?

Community Forums/General Help/Suggest a good guitar book?

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#1]
I need a good guitar book that takes you from begginer to advanced, focusing on blues.
anyone?
Ive bought 3-4 books already but either they dont teach theory or use too much jargon without explaining things clearly.

col(Posted 2011) [#2]
Youtube was my best teacher.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#3]
Assuming you already know all the basic chords and standard note configs...
-take a book in tab notation from a music store of your favorite band (that uses primarily standard tuning).
Best way to learn imo. For me it was Pink Floyd.

...and youtube.

col(Posted 2011) [#4]
@D4NM4N
I did the same.
I play Floyd stuff all the time. Superb music. My faves to play are Time, Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage, Us and Them, Wish you were here, Shine on your crazy diamond, Sorrow and more. All learned by listening to the music and youtube.

I bought a book or two, had one guitar lesson and thought it was a waste of money as I could learn the same from the teachers at youtube.

Hail the 'tube :D hehe.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#5]
I got the solos 1 and 2 down from comfortably numb... -Only- time i have played to "public" people at the local boozer, my mates band did their set and said "we wanna close with my mate who can play this solo better than me" (not true IMO.. but still i could have shot him!)
It was a cool night though and held it down ok (4 pints of strongbow helped=) I pulled a good one too :D

Last edited 2011

col(Posted 2011) [#6]
I've not played 'public' yet, but I did smash an improvised version of a really long (pulse album version ) of the 'numb solo out one day really really loud at home, I gave myself goosebumps by the end of it, lol. When I finished there was some guy and his girly with their little kid standing outside listening and he gave me a round applause haha. I was real embarrassed but he obviously liked it :D

I pulled a good one too :D

Nice one. Yeah, they love 'Wish you were here' if you can sing and play, which I can just about do, I use backing tracks from http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com, some of the songs include the vocals :P

matibee(Posted 2011) [#7]
Can't suggest any books I'm afraid but just wanna shamelessly join the guitar conversation... I originally (about 6 years ago or more) got the acoustic basics down from here: http://www.easyguitarnet.com/

Moved onto electric a couple of years ago as I needed something loud enough to play over my sons drum kit :) I've got a great pal who's an absolute guitar master and we've been looking at blues-y stuff recently. But electric isn't where my heart is atm; it's acoustic playing and singing. This weekend we had a stack of his gear (mixing desk, studio monitors, mics, vocal fx stomp board, electric + acoustic guitars, laptop / cubase) all set up in my living room (oh, as well as the real drum kit, bass guitar and 3/4 electric for my daughter that always live in there :D)

I've not played publicly yet, but a guy that does a regular set in a pub in town challenged me to get a couple of songs down and get up and do them and I'm close to taking him up on that offer.

col(Posted 2011) [#8]
@D4NM4N
I think it must be an amazing experience to play to an audience :-)

@matibee
Hehe cool.
I'd take the opportunity :P

I'd love to do it, I don't mind being out of my 'comfort zone', but I think I might get nervous of messing it up and actually mess it up! That's just a lack of experience though. I do play to my friends, wait, that sounds wierd, my friends ask me to play so I do :D but it can't be anything like the buzz of playing to a crowd who would be cheering and clapping :P

I say go for it and have that experience.