DropBox for personal use?

Community Forums/General Help/DropBox for personal use?

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#1]
Does anyone use anything similar to DropBox, but for personal use? I already have a 50GB DropBox account for business purposes, and I suppose I could up it to 100MB and use it for both, but that seems messy. I'd much prefer to have a separate system and location for personal and business use. It would also mean not having to explain to the taxman why I'm claiming half of a particular expense as a deduction, but not the other half. You know how it is, when you try to do something honest, that's usually when they're most suspicious. They're not used to it, I guess.

Anyway, I like the DropBox setup, so something similar would be good. It would need to be Windows and Mac, for sure. iPad and Android would be a bonus, as it is nice to be able to upload photos and other bits and pieces. Ideally, I guess, the nearest thing to two DropBox accounts without actually having to switch back and forth between two DropBox accounts. Oh, and I'd probably want in the region of the 50GB I get with DropBox.

Last edited 2011

John G(Posted 2011) [#2]
I'm loving Dropbox, but only to transfer <10 MB at a time across the Pacific on a standard free account. I imagine if you're a paying customer the Dropbox folks would sell you 2 separate accounts.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#3]
Actually they won't. It's explicitly not permitted. Even if it was, as I said above, switching back and forth between multiple accounts would be extremely annoying.

Last edited 2011

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#4]
Well if it's of any interest to anyone, I think I'm going to go with Mozy Home. With promotions, I can get it down to £6 per month for 125GB of storage and three computers, which is my laptop, desktop and iMac. The features are more basic than DropBox, but I can still use DropBox for those features and rely on Mozy purely for storing lots of files for as little money as possible.