Selling online - is paypal a good option?

Community Forums/General Help/Selling online - is paypal a good option?

Pax(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello, a friend of mine wants to sell motion-design videoclips and I'm wondering what's the best advice on services that collect payment.

He is considering:

a) manual processing for orders (can be quite tedious).
b) using an automated service, paypal-like.

He would like to be able to limit customer downloading to just one time.

Is paypal a good option?

Thanks in advance.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Try BMTMicro.

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#3]
Or Fastspring

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#4]
& Plimus.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#5]
Paypal should work, but if you're thinking of offering just one payment method, then you should be aware that quite a few people have a rabid aversion of paypal and won't be ordering from you if that is all you offer.

Pax(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks for the suggestions, will read their Terms of service and guess he'll have to decide based on those + rates.

Regards.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
& Plimus.
check the recent thread about them on Indiegamer. they have some very dodgy practices.

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#8]
I too have heard many bad things about Plimus, though I have no experience of them myself. Here is a survey from 2009 on the various ecommerce solutions. The info is dated now but should still be relevant to some degree.

John G(Posted 2011) [#9]
Yikes. My middle-man was rated below average in 2009. But then, so was my volume...

alain(Posted 2011) [#10]
stick with FastSpring or BMT: they are the best.

Check this for a comparaison:

http://successfulsoftware.net/2009/10/12/a-survey-of-ecommerce-providers-for-software-vendors/

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#11]
I use Google Checkout, but there are people against them just as there are people against PayPal.