Host Gator. Questions?

Community Forums/General Help/Host Gator. Questions?

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm buying a host gator hosting plan for a client of mine, and have a few questions.

I like the options of the site builder, it seems to make things extremely easy,
but am alarmed by the lack of some kind of custom template option.

I need my own background images\page colors, and my own sized sidebars,
headers, etc.

I just need more customization than the site builder options. Is there something
that I'm missing, or is it lacking this features?

If so, what options would work best instead of the site builder? Does Host Gator
support web page design programs like Trellian?

Thanks,

Jose

Edit;
(Holy cripes, I was so tired when I wrote this that I signed it with my real name, lol)

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
You're much better off learning PHP, HTML and MySQL (and probably basic CSS too) before anything else. Even if you go with a CMS such as Joomla you're still going to need to customise bits of the code and that's going to be difficult without so much as a vague understanding of the aforementioned.

I've never used Trellian but in the past I've always found that such editors produce messy, awful code, which is the very thing that stopped me learning HTML for myself - I always thought it was a horrible messy language but actually it isn't, if you format it right.

You can upload any html pages you want with Hostgator - they don't care how bad your code is.

If you want to have a play around with this stuff, then I'd suggest two things. First, buy a good book on PHP (which will cover MySQL and HTML as well, to an extent). Yeah you can read tutorials on the internet for free but personally I like to go away from the PC and study these things. Second, download and have a play with WAMPServer. It basically installs Apache, MySQL and PHP, which allows you to run PHP code locally by going to localhost/yoursitenamehere/index.php.

Finally for writing PHP script you don't need anything more than Notepad++. sure, Dreamweaver is great but it costs a small fortune.

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#3]
If you're buying a hosting plan for someone else then you may want to take a look at the Hostgator affiliate program. You can make some nice extra cash with it.

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#4]
You can upload any html pages you want with Hostgator - they don't care how bad your code is.

That's all I wanted to know. Trellian it is then :)

But in all seriousness, I'll learn the languages you suggest. It seems Web Design
has become my chosen career, so I'd better become pretty comfortable with all
of em.

And I'm the same way with the books. I always seem to learn so much better
out of a book, compared to those darn internet tutorials, no matter how good
they 'might' be.

And conveniently, I think I have WAMPserver lying around somewhere.

@Bill
Oh, many thanks! Not sure if I can do much with it, since I'm not a Hostgator
user myself, but I'll certainly look into it :)

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#5]
Also, and this was pointed out to me by Gfk a few months ago... Make sure you read up on SQL injection, usually, beginners guides dont tell you about this, but, if you ignore it, your site is left wide open for abuse.

Dabz

Last edited 2011

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#6]
Rightio!

I'll look into it. Right now I'm rebuilding the yogurt website in Trellian, since
google sites lamely can't transfer to another host ;)

Then tomorrow I'll be helping the yogurt place owner choose a proper host instead
of google, so that I can transfer the site copy over to it.

I have to move fast with this, because the speedier I am in helping yogurt guy,
the more I impress two potential employers. And if I by chance win the contract
from one or both of them, I'll have a few days breathing room to improve my
knowledge of web design.

After that, it will mainly be 'on the job' training :)

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#7]
Solved :)

I ended up using Godaddy because they're cheaper, and just uploaded some HTML
pages to the ftp site.

Twas alarmingly easy, lol.