What this forum needs...

Community Forums/General Help/What this forum needs...

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#1]
...is an e-mail notification option...

I hate having to keep returning just to check each of the some 20 odd threads that I'm watching when I could be spending that time being productive with Blitz Max.

An e-mail notification would let me know if one of the threads I'm watching has a reply right away.

I'm just sayin', guys. Upgrade this community to the year 2011 already!

big10p(Posted 2011) [#2]
As long as it's a thred you have posted in, you just need to go to your profile and click on the forums link. All the most recent thread replies will be right at the top.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#3]
You could use the Active Topics buttons? (I'm not entirely sure how the forum defines "active", but it sounds like the thing you want.)

mv333(Posted 2011) [#4]
It would also be great to see which posts are new, like it shows for the threads. Or at least a timestamp for posts/threads, showing date/month/year/time.

I always wondered why they don't switch to something like phpBB, or vBulletin. Maybe they don't wanna deal with spammers and hackers?

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#5]
I'd much rather have an RSS feed personally, although I mean that in general terms as I don't actually use this site much, and am far more likely to browse than threadwatch. On active forums where I do have an active interest in particular threads, I find RSS feeds a lot more useful.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#6]
I don't see what is so difficult to simply check if the "new" word is next to a thread and if not then there's nothing new to see! Works for me.

simonh(Posted 2011) [#7]
This feature is already available on the Monkey forum, and has been available on the Blitz forums for a while, but only to moderators. I see no reason to keep it moderators only, so I've now opened it up to everyone.

To use it, simply click the Subscribe link at the bottom of a posts page.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#8]
Wow, bless you Simon!

EDIT: I think this change might have broken the editting. Every edit is now doubling posts.

Last edited 2011

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#9]
Let's see if this gets double posted...

... edited once, another post appears. No more posts on further edits.

Manually deleting 'tiny' code doesn't help. In fact it got worse, a third post appeared.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#10]
Oops.

Sorry about the clutter. I thought there were no new posts after the second when really they had just scrolled off the top of the screen.

I'll stop now.

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#11]
Okay, this is definitely my final post.

I would clean up the mess but I am unable to kill posts.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#12]
I've been making some careful scientific observations, and it would appear that double posts are appearing on edits.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#13]
Oh lol I just realized. When the Subscribe option was shown to users, so was indirectly shown the admin-only feature of 'seeing previous edits'.
This was added so that if someone would erase their posts when he said something bad, the admins could still see it - like a hidden "history".

GfK(Posted 2011) [#14]
This feature is already available on the Monkey forum, and has been available on the Blitz forums for a while, but only to moderators. I see no reason to keep it moderators only
See any reason now? :D

simonh(Posted 2011) [#15]
Oops! Fixed now...

jsp(Posted 2011) [#16]
To use it, simply click the Subscribe link at the bottom of a posts page.

Very nice! Thank you for this.

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#17]
Many thanks Simon!

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#18]
Ah, Subscribe! I just noticed it now. This is great :-).

@Gabriel: I've created an RSS (and Atom) feed for the BlitzMax forum's and frontpage.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/BlitzmaxRssFeed?format=xml
http://feeds.feedburner.com/BlitzmaxAtomFeed?format=xml

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2011) [#19]
Is a severe enyma.