Feedback on colour

Community Forums/General Help/Feedback on colour

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#1]
Looking at my GridRunner game again, do you think the craft at the bottom is too similar in colour to the background grid lines?

And if so, what colours would you use instead?

[Original removed]

Last edited 2011

MCP(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi Steve, the grid lines themselves are quite dominant and attract the eye the most washing out the rest of the scene and making it difficult to see what's going on. Try toning down the colour of the grid a bit so that the rest of the scene and ship stand out more. That may fix your problem IMO.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks for your feedback. I'm thinking of putting a glow around the craft, but yes, you could be right that the grid lines could be toned down a little.

[Edit]
Updated gridlines.

Last edited 2011

ErikT(Posted 2011) [#4]
Your color scheme is pretty hard on the eyes I think. The red against dull grey-combo especially is brutal. A weakly saturated green color instead of the grey would probably work better. Anyway I tried to mess around with the colors a bit. It might be a good idea to read up on color theory to find out which ones play nice together.

And yeah, check out photobucket for uploading images.

Last edited 2011

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#5]
Yeah, the grid lines are definitely weirding me out. I'm gonna go out on a limb for an educated guess here, but I'd say that the reason it makes the brain feel so... Well, trippy, really... Is because red - on computer screens especially - is a far lower luminousity colour than green, or even blue. The luminousity of the red seems, in fact, to be quite similar to the grey walls, whereas its hue is of course completely different. All this makes the brain do a kind of visual "what wait what wait WHAT?" which is rather unpleasant. :p

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#6]
Well the graphics are inspired by the Tron film, and it sometimes uses grey objects with red outlines. And I quite like the contrast between the two colours.

But interesting what you say guys, and that blue version you posted Erik looks pretty good. Maybe shades of blue for the game arena, and reds for the game characters.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#7]
Updated the graphics. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited 2011

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#8]
Much better man! You have the misfortune of now having the optical illusion where the grid lines cross, producing black dots. I think it's caused by your brain trying to create a shape from the cross over and placing the colour of the outline, in the centre.

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#9]
Here's the image:

www.scientificpsychic.com/spacer.gif

Last edited 2011

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#10]
Well, it's true that the illusion is there, and quite noticeable, but I can't say I mind it much. It gives it an almost electrical quality.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thanks Ross. I'm sure I'll tweak it more, but the other game characters will be added next.

Haha, weird.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#12]
What about now? I don't see the effect now the grid lines are a different colour to the column lines.

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#13]
Yep, you've eliminated it!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#14]
Cool lol. Compression doesn't do it any justice. It runs 1680 X 1050 and very Tron-like and smooth. Back to coding now...

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#15]
It doesn't really pop enough. If you're going for that tron sort of aesthetic, you'll need to make the lines glow much more. Maybe double up the textures over where the lines are, with the top one being set to additive blending.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#16]

It doesn't really pop enough.

It does in-game - the main areas like the columns especially. Like I said, Compression doesn't do it any justice. Plus I've toned down the grid lines a lot as others rightly complained it was too much. But you could be right about using a different blending mode. I'll look at that again.

Last edited 2011