Help with game problem...!

Community Forums/General Help/Help with game problem...!

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#1]
So, I've been developing a Mahjong Solitaire game for quite a while.
Now that it's finished, I've got some people testing it - and I got two strange bug reports:

First one, the game won't start at all, on Windows 7 32 bits. One thing that got me suspicious was the OS Language was Ukrainian.

Second one, the game started fine, but all the texts (which uses ImageFont) won't show. Unfortunately, I didn't get any screenshot to see exactly what it was. Again, on a Ukrainian Windows 7, now 64 bits. Even stranger, on same machine, running XP, the fonts showed up fine!

The strange thing is: I tested the game on at least 3 Win-7 machines, all non-English, in both 32 and 64 bits and nothing wrong happened.

So I ask you guys for help! Could you please test the demo game, and tell me if it works or not?

Here's the download links:

Windows - Mac

I'm most interested in the Windows port, since it's where the problems appeared, but I also added the Mac download, so people can check it out ;)

Here some screenshots:

Oh yeah, the name of the game is Mahjong Max ;)

Thanks very much in advance!

P.S.: If the game fail on you, please send me the mmaxlog.txt file created, so I can try to track it down! send it to mynick at mysite dot com dot br

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
Not seeing any problems on my computer (Windows 7 x64, US English)

I noticed that it automatically put my first name as the player -- does it get that from the Windows username, or...?

The game itself is pretty nice, decent graphics, etc, except for one rather annoying design choice: Unlike the other Mah Jong games I've played, yours doesn't really notify you when there are no more moves left. YEs, the 'moves' panel slowly blinks red, but it's not really obvious.

the other mah jong games pop up a window in the center telling the player that there are no more moves, and gives them to option to re-shuffle / reset the board / whatever. I'd strongly suggest you consider doing something like that as well, because it's really pretty annoying to realize that there are no more moves after wasting a minute hunting for one first.

I also noticed that the uninstaller popped up with an error/notification that the install folder wasn't empty (it left a log file), although it did remove the rest after the message. The folder and log file were left behind though.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
Works fine here Windows 7 x64, Australian English.

BTW looks very nice, two small things - speed up the fading between screens and add an option to show the system cursor.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Note: After uninstall, I noticed that your installer left behind a hidden folder, "c:\program files (x86)\InstallJammer Registry" -- what's that all about?

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#5]
I noticed that it automatically put my first name as the player -- does it get that from the Windows username, or...?

Yes, It get it from the username :)

The game itself is pretty nice, decent graphics, etc, except for one rather annoying design choice: Unlike the other Mah Jong games I've played, yours doesn't really notify you when there are no more moves left. YEs, the 'moves' panel slowly blinks red, but it's not really obvious.

I know... I may add it soon, altough it will be somewhat tricky to do it at this point (Specially since I have to pause every timer in the game, and also - reshuffle consumes time, a reshuffle then could end the game, don't know how I would deal with that)

BTW looks very nice, two small things - speed up the fading between screens and add an option to show the system cursor.

Is that important to view the real cursor?

Note: After uninstall, I noticed that your installer left behind a hidden folder, "c:\program files (x86)\InstallJammer Registry" -- what's that all about?

Don't know really... I use the free "InstallJammer" installer, which works on Windows and Linux.

Checking for it on Google it says: "Those directories are created when the installer runs and it keeps track of what it has installed." - so nothing to worry about... and it can be safely deleted if you want.

As for it giving an error because there are other files there - I wouldn't worry - the final build won't make this log file, so it wont give any errors unless the user creates some file on the same folder - and then, it is better not to delete it anyway ;)

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hah! Adding a 'no moves' dialog was easier than I tought! Just had to tweak the "Messagebox" function I had to accept other values than "Yes/No" or "Ok" ;)

I re-uploaded the demo, and now, if you have no moves left, it asks if you want to reshuffle or restart the game :)
(But restart doesn't reset the time... hehehe)

I just updated the demo, both for Windows and Mac.

Thanks for the heads up xlsior! :)

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#7]
Is that important to view the real cursor?

Lots of users will complain if you dont... they "feel" the lag...

bashc(Posted 2011) [#8]
Game Works fine here Windows 7x64 home premium7, Spanish.
Graphics and sounds are very good!

model: Asus Notebook N61jq series

Memory ram 4 GB

Card graphic ATI mobilty radeon HD 5730
Memory of graphic card aprox. 2768

-----------------------------------------------------
Mmaxlog (no problems as you will see in this copy):
-----------------------------------------------------
Trying to create common access folder
Common folder created at C:/ProgramData/ICON Games/Mahjong Max/
dataPath:zip::game-demo.dat//
Setting up the display
full screen
Finished video initialization:
Desktop resolution: 1366x768x32
Resolution:1024x768x32
Using driver: Direct-X 9.
Setting DirectSound as sound driver...
Audio driver selected
Initializing translations...
auto detected language:sp
final language to be loaded:en
loading language...
done.
loading graphics...
loading fonts
done.
Loading Game Messages
done.
Creating big font messages
done.
Loading several images.
done.
one more font being loaded
done. Initiating fireworks engine
done. Loading image buttons
done.Loading candle graphics
done. Loading options graphics
done. Loading tutorial graphics
done. Loading select tiles graphics
done. just 2 more images
done.
done. loading audio...
done.
creating and loading players...
done. Starting main loop...

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#9]
Thanks guys! It's nice to hear everyone likes the graphics and music, since I did it all myself :)

(And now the Mac demo is up to date with the Windows version too)

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#10]
By the way: I'm wondering if the problem with the Ukranian thing in your case could be related to weird unicode characters in the username / user folder path, perhaps?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#11]
On a swedish rig with win 7 it loads but no text is visible. I would have posted a screenie but it only captured the non fs stuff.

Dunno if it helps but whatever you do to display the PC user name on the first screen renders perfectly, but everything else is missing.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
You can see here with DigiCam:

>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18440078/IMAG0322.jpg

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#13]
!!!

That's really strange! Can you send me (or post here) the log file?

What really baffles me is that the same font is used to draw the player name, draws the "Not you? Click here" text just below it...

Maybe it is some problem with Flip 0, instead of Flip 1?? OR maybe it's a problem with OpenStream/ReadLine not loading the texts (much more plausible... but what's strange is that it is plain text, not even unicode!)

When I get home later at night, I'll try to track this down and see what I can come up with...

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#14]
It may be interested to know the usernames of those users having issues on their installs, and how you're handling unicode strings in your game.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#15]
I'm thinking now of something more silly... like a problem with the language detection.

But to know if it is or not... I need the log file to see what language it actually detected :/

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#16]
Trying to create common access folder
Common folder created at C:/ProgramData/ICON Games/Mahjong Max/
dataPath:zip::game-demo.dat//
Setting up the display
full screen
Finished video initialization:
Desktop resolution: 1366x768x32
Resolution:1024x768x32
Using driver: Direct-X 9.
Setting DirectSound as sound driver...
Audio driver selected
Initializing translations...
auto detected language:
final language to be loaded:
loading language...
done.
loading graphics...
loading fonts
done.
Loading Game Messages
done.
Creating big font messages
done.
Loading several images.
done.
one more font being loaded
done. Initiating fireworks engine
done. Loading image buttons
done.Loading candle graphics
done. Loading options graphics
done. Loading tutorial graphics
done. Loading select tiles graphics
done. just 2 more images
done.
done. loading audio...
done.
creating and loading players...
done. Starting main loop...

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#17]
have you tried savin your text resources in other formats? utf-8 ascii etc...

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#18]
Hah! I solved it. I manage to turn my XP machine into a swedish one, and then the same thing happened!

The problem was the language detection indeed, returning a chr(0) string (and therefore, not null or empty) as the language!

Thank you *VERY MUCH* D4NM4N, if it wasn't for you I would be still trying to figure it out :)

Now, the only problem is for the guy who couldn't open the game at all... but this is a big improvement! :)

(Ouch, have to run the Mac to fix my language module there too... hehehe)

...and both Windows and Mac demos are updated :)

Last edited 2011

simonh(Posted 2011) [#19]
Moving to General Help.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#20]
So... no one experienced the game not running at all?
(I hope this is good news heh)

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#21]
Final version of the game was released, and it's working like a charm :)
Thanks everyone!