Feedback Request - features, gameplay, changes?

Community Forums/General Help/Feedback Request - features, gameplay, changes?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Good Afternoon,

A few weeks ago I began work on this game - although runs on Android which will be the primary target this is a flash version - the object is to slay a dragon while collecting comrades along the way and defeating various other monsters that have taken over the kingdom.

I will begin working on it again next week (when I return from annual leave) but would really appreciate lots of feedback, negative, positive, changes that should be made, suggestions, opinions etc.

The file size is about 4-5MB so may take a few seconds to load in your browser.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Etmalcolm/flamesofvengeance/

Gameplay is described in the tutorial and the story outlines the object of the game.

Thank you all,

(Note I posted this also on the Monkey forum since the program was originally written with Monkey but hopefully it is acceptable to post this here as well...)

Matty(Posted 2011) [#2]
Four days and no replies?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#3]
I think I'll have to take off my invisible man clothing.

ervin(Posted 2011) [#4]
Sounds interesting.
I'll check this out tonight after work, and I'll report back with my findings.
:o)

ervin(Posted 2011) [#5]
Okey dokey.

I like the concept, but the first thing I noticed, in the tutorial, was "Walk over to the nearby warriors".

There was no clear indication which one was my character (of course I knew which one it was, but he wasn't really highlighted).

And of course, what does "walk over to..." mean?
You could say "by clicking where you want your hero to move."

In "Story" mode, you need to give the player a chance to click through the text. I read the text quickly and then had to wait for it to advance.

In "Play" mode there is no clear indication of where I'm supposed to go, or what I'm supposed to do.

I suppose things like the gold in the bottom right of the screen could be explained a bit in the tutorial, as well as the health levels of your character and the other warriors. i.e. what do the green and yellow bars mean? And when will I be able to use the gold I collect?
What are the blue bars for above enemies (or are they above buildings)?

Sound effects are needed (though no doubt they are on the way)!

The X to quit the game in the top left corner - it should have a confirmation instead of just dumping the player back at the main menu.

Unfortunately, I felt that I was just wandering around without any purpose, and it wasn't very interesting. :o(

However, I DID like the way your enemies will fight each other. That was a nice touch.

Will there be loot drops?
Levelling?
Equipment upgrades etc?

I think you've got a concept with potential, and I hope my feedback helps. Keep going!

Last edited 2011

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#6]
Giving it a shot!

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#7]
A bigger view, a minimap, and some kind of goal markers would be great. I felt totally lost and aimless just wandering around without any hints as to where I should be going.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#8]
Thanks for trying this out. I will attempt to make the suggested changes.

The first I guess is to have some kind of objective marker to give the player some direction ... ie leading to the dragon.

I will explain the yellow/green and blue bars in the tutorial.

Sound effects - not sure if will implement these...I want to keep the download size small.

Bigger view - possible, will look into, and will put a minimap in...was in originally but I removed it...will put back in.

Currently the gold does not do anything...I should probably remove it.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It still needs a lot of work it would appear.

I'm unsure of whether I should have some kind of 'interior' levels for the player to enter the various spawn buildings ... we will see, and perhaps the ability to purchase things by going into the 'human' buildings.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#9]
G'day everyone again.

I would appreciate further feedback from people regarding the changes I've implemented in this update.

Changes made include:

Hud Icons for nearest shop and nearest dragon are now visible (arrow with icon which points in direction to nearest of each)

Gold/Money is used now - when you get close to a shop (follow yellow house icon) you can enter the shop and purchase upgrades (weapons/armour) for your followers.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Etmalcolm/flamesofvengeance/

an Android version is available here too:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Etmalcolm/flamesofvengeance/flamesofvengeance.apk

Please try these and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks very much,
from Matt

ervin(Posted 2011) [#10]
That was quick!
I'll check it out tonight!

Just noticed from your web address (and also from your G'day greeting!) that you're a fellow Aussie. Just thought I'd mention that.
:o)

Last edited 2011

ervin(Posted 2011) [#11]
Just dropped by to have a look at the latest version, and your website simply says "WILL BE BACK SOON".

Is there a new version coming?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#12]
Sorry ervin, I've already gone ahead and released the mobile phone version. There are quite a few changes however.

from Matt

ervin(Posted 2011) [#13]
Ah, congrats on the release!
Will there be a version for iOS?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#14]
Thanks ervin, iOS release won't happen straight away, maybe in the distant future....