The triple-product of a vector enquiry

Community Forums/General Help/The triple-product of a vector enquiry

David819(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi, I'm currently doing research into vector functions for a library i'm developing and have come into a problem with concerns to triple products of both scalar and vector type, I know how to do both calculations and know as much as the scalar triple-product returns the volume of a parallelepiped but i can't seem to find any information of any other uses for this or for the vector triple product. please could someone clear me up on what these two operations are for and what they can be used for in relation to games development?
Thank you.
Dave

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi David819. Even though we have tons of smart people here (cough'cough), I somehow feel your question would do much better at the Math & Physics forum of GameDev.Net, devoted completely to this subject and its related game applications.
You'll probably get better feedback there. Best of luck!

David819(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thank you for your advise, I shall give it a try :). thank you again.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#4]
One use of the scalar triple product is to determine whether three vectors are co-planar. That will be the case when the scalar triple product is zero. I can't immediately think of a reason you would want to know whether three vectors are all on the same plane, but I'm sure it could come up in game development.