PRP - Stress testing

Community Forums/General Help/PRP - Stress testing

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi guys!

I'm experimenting with the way the Pocket Radio Player loads the radio streams. Have done some tweaks to speed up the connection process itself. But the most important aspect is that a station will continue to play until the next one is ready.

1. I'd like to know if this build works for you even if you switch stations like crazy. Please post your OS, CPU and sound card.

2. In addition it would be nice to get some feedback if you prefer the new method over the old system.

You can grab the build here:
http://188.165.211.46/~knot/prp/prp_dev.zip (8,5 MB, Win32 only, no installer, #310711)

Thanks!
Grisu

Last edited 2011

Graythe(Posted 2011) [#2]
No problems here

I know little of this 'old system' that you speak of...

WinXPSP2 : Athlon 2.16ghz : Edirol UA25

Graythe(Posted 2011) [#3]
I'm on a radio network - when the connection drops I hear a short looped segment of what was playing, when the connection goes up the player resumes normally :)

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#4]
@Graythe: Thanks for the feedback!

The current version of the player stops the current station and loads the new one afterwards. So you get a "no music§ during the loading sequences.

The "loops" are caused by buffer underruns. - You might try another server (if present) ir in some cases increasing the buffersize (via option menu) helps. For most cases this is a server side issue though and has no relation to PRP.

jsp(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hi Grisu,
switching is working quite good. I like that it plays until the new stream is ready.

Some other stuff found during testing:
When making the window as small as possible and switching to options, you don't have an indicator that there are more options outside the visible area.

Changing the colors in options I didn't found that useful, as most stuff don't work with it.

The volume slider does not act on mousewheel or click as a normal slider does.

When changing between views I found it strange to move so far with the mouse because the buttons are not together but the genre combox is in between.

When searching for a certain station via the editable combox it works only if you know the exact string, it would be better if it would also find stations where the searchstring is somewhere in the middle...

Just some ideas, have fun.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks for the feedback Jens.

@Options:
Added a scrollbar to compensate a smaller window size.

@Color options:
Some users wanted a fully skinable PRP app. So this was the next best thing I could do without much work.

@Volume slider:
Don't know how I could add this on all ports.
Guess the event hooks might do it, but only under Windows?

@Search:
Experimenting with better ways to search. I want to keep it simple without the need of adding new windows or subpanels.

Last edited 2011

jsp(Posted 2011) [#7]
@Search:
Experimenting with better ways to search. I want to keep it simple without the need of adding new windows or subpanels.

Instead of a LeftStr... a Contains would be already a lot better, but then of course a new list has to be created with all instances where the string was found ( like a genre), don't know if that is too much.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#8]
Not too much. Implemented "contains" and works fine so far. :)

Uploaded a new dev build (#310711). Same link as above.

Graythe(Posted 2011) [#9]
Thanks for the new version. I have rarely listened to music for a number of years and it's cool to have it on my desktop.