motherboard/video card compatibility

Community Forums/General Help/motherboard/video card compatibility

Ruz(Posted 2011) [#1]
would you know if a geforce 560 ti will fit in an asus P5QL motherboard. if not how would I find out?

currently my card is a geforce 9400 gt whoch is six inches long, but the 560ti is around 10 inches
I have space in my case, but there are quite a few transistors sticking out and am not sure if there is enough clearance

cheers
Mike

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
pci bus slots are a standard distance apart so if it won't fit your board then it won't fit anyones.

if a pci-e card does happen to require extra space then just move whatever is in the top pci slot down to the next one.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#3]
I think he means 10" long not wide... ;D

It depends on weather your case can take it. As GFK said the slots are pretty standard so if transistors /are/ really in the way (FYI i have not seen this problem for about 15-20 years...) then you have a REALLY bad motherboard.... but the cases "form factor" may not be... but you say you have checked that so....
go for it..

PS i worked for ASUS a long time ago and on standard fits them quite well all things considered.

Last edited 2011

Ruz(Posted 2011) [#4]
cheers guys, yeah I was probably being a bit paranoid over the transistors as they are less than flush, so they won't be sticking out as such.

if not I will have to hammer it in with a mallet:)

Also does it matter which make of video I buy ie asus, MSi or whatever. Are there big differences?

Last edited 2011

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#5]
There can be. nVidia only provide reference designs and individual companies are free to modify it as they please. You'd be best off spending 30 mins or so Googling comparisons before jumping in.

Ruz(Posted 2011) [#6]
ok, cool, cheers for that Hotcakes. don'twant no homemade rubbish:)

Man I think one of my hard drives was on the way out, so i took it out and am now going to back up everything after numerous BSOD.
Must be that time of year again

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
Its called summer. could be overheating?