Voice changer

Community Forums/General Help/Voice changer

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#1]
Anybody know of a piece of software for the PC that will change a recorded voice? Specifically I'm looking for a computer/robotic sound.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
fruityloops can do it, iirc.

Uncle(Posted 2011) [#3]
Ivoxel is pretty good as well if you have a mac, or idevice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7uDHAnYvY

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#4]
i think audacity (free) has a few filters for this sort of thing too.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#5]
It'd be invaluable for you to work out how to do this manually through filters (I'm sure in the long run you'll have more sound stuff to do), but there is a [paid] software that does this out of the box: GoldWave
It has a "Mechanize" filter that robotizes things; download the demo to see it in action.
The Vocoder plugin for FLStudio GfK mentioned, does an awesome job as well.

EDIT: If you had to do this with manually with filters, I'd use SoundForge - with a combination of the Distortion, Chorus and Gapper\Snipper filters you can achieve several robotized timbres.

Last edited 2011

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#6]
The best robotizer is a vocoder. Any vocoder that does not destry phonetics is good. As a sample, take any of the starwars bots except C3PO.

Doggie(Posted 2011) [#7]
http://www.screamingbee.com/
I can vouch for this one. It can make a wide variety of different voices.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2011) [#8]
I ran the original accapella version of Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner through a guitar FX board once and recorded it, 2nd time ive tried killing that song, first was overlaying it on a really nasty sounded like you had an F1 car in your head 3 minute screach I did early 00's.

So if you have or have access to hardware, give it a whirl too, you never know what you might get.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#9]
I'd say WavePad ( free edition, naturally ;D ), Audacity, really any audio editor that has a decent array of filters. Audacity is good, especially being freeware, but the UI is rather off-putting for many (myself included, at first).

I'm assuming, since you said "recorded voice," that you don't need a tool to warp it in realtime? For things like voice-chat? If you need something realtime, I have no suggestions. XD

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#10]
Thanks guys, Audacity works well.

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#11]
Any real need for stereo voice samples? Or is mono ok?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#12]
Record them in mono, then give them three-dimensionality through panning and volume, placing them in your soundscape.
The same for sound-effects that happen in a point in space, such as a step, a punch etc. In studio-talk, these are named "spot" sound-effects and I think for the precise reason that they happen in a spot instead of an area.

If the sound you are recording is described in an area (like restaurant\street\airport ambiences, explosions etc.), then record it in stereo as you need to capture that soundscape. These kind of sounds already propose three-dimensionality, and to record them in mono would cause them to lose a lot of their appeal - sit in a restaurant and realize how sound comes from all directions, something that only stereo recordings can capture.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#13]
Good answer - thanks.