tethering laptop to inet via android...

Community Forums/General Help/tethering laptop to inet via android...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#1]
Anyone manage this yet, nearly installed Android Sdk, needed java jdk. Installed jdk, sdk cannot find it!

gosse(Posted 2011) [#2]
I have an HTC Desire Z (G2) and I just installed HTC sync on the laptop and it supports it out of the box with 2.1+. The app PdaNet also works like a charm.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#3]
I need this on my phone:-

http://www.htc.com/europe/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=982&news_id=769

thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited 2011

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#4]
Android rather handily provide you with HTC sync on your phone! It is in one of the directories on your phone, you just need to copy it to your PC and voila - laptop surfing via your android phone! Cool. Incidentally, the reason I was trying was my son bought a ipod whilst on holiday and he needed to hook up to tinternet - try doing that while your camping!

With Android you can make your mobile (or in my case my son's) apple apps work!

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#5]
PDAnet and EasyTether can both tether a laptop through an android phone... Both are payware, but IIRC the free trial is fully functional with the exception of HTTPS / SSL.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#6]
My phone (HTC Desire (not HD)) - plug the USB cable into PC, use as Data Drive first - download HTC Sync driver off the phone. Install on PC. Restart machine (not requested to but I always like to do this when installing 'new hardware').

Connect phone. Select USB Tether option. And that is it.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
for the built-in tethering option to work, you need the tethering feature enabled on your phone plan. PDANet and EasyTether work without that.

Warpy(Posted 2011) [#8]
My Desire HD just has a switch in the options to act as a wi-fi hotspot. Do other phones not have that?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#9]
Yeah its really easy to do.

You can either use wifi mode to make it act like a "mini router" or you just plug it in using cable and choose the USB modem option (this second option seems to work on every OS except OSX, but the wifi option works with anything)

Last edited 2011

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#10]
@marty, yep that's all I needed to do also, knowledge is a wonderfull thing!

Winni(Posted 2011) [#11]
PDANet works very well on Android in my experience (it sucks on jailbroken iPhones, though - the battery depletes faster than you can watch), but doesn't Gingerbread have tethering built in? At least my Galaxy S2 has that feature, but I haven't played with it yet.