Firefox 4 and Youtube?

Community Forums/General Help/Firefox 4 and Youtube?

Ked(Posted 2011) [#1]
I don't know if this has already been brought up, but why do some Youtube videos play with HTML5 instead of Flash? It's kind of frustrating because it takes longer to load and there are constant stutters. Also, when the video is being played with HTML5 if you right click it the context menu has a Save Video As item. When you press it though, it loads up the Rick Astley song (you know which one).

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#2]
ome Youtube videos play with HTML5 instead of Flash?

Examples?!?

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#3]
if you go to youtube.com/html5 you might have an option to opt out

Ked(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yep! Thanks, slenkar. Opted out.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2011) [#5]
Ah so that's what's been causing that! Had the same problem on other sites. Thanks for the info.

IMHO Firefox 4 is better than IE9 right now, IE9 is crap.

Darkheart

Last edited 2011

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#6]
While we're on the subject of Youtube, I don't know what they're smoking over there at the moment but every change they make to their site seems to make it harder to use. The latest bout of stupidity is that the videos on my subscriptions pages are listed with the oldest videos showing at the top of the list.

That's just a short term bug that will get rectified of course, but there's a lot of other stuff with Youtube that just makes me rage. Such as the fact that old videos I've watched keep getting added back onto the New Videos list in my subscriptions section, plus the fact that you can't remove unwanted videos from that list.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
I was watching some vids about Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger on there a couple of days ago, and they had unskippable ads on them. Bit inappropriate, I thought. And that's not to mention that any video with comments seems to turn into a handful of people hurling swear words and insults at each other.

Whole place needs a tidy-up if you ask me.

taumel(Posted 2011) [#8]
HTML5 like option is automatically choosen with Firefox on youtube if you don't have Flash installed and youtube has such a format available.

In other words you often (at least it works with the content i'm watching) don't need Flash anymore for viewing videos there.

Ked(Posted 2011) [#9]
With HTML5 you can't watch videos in full screen. That is a huge disappointment for me. It also doesn't help that HTML5 is jittery and no where near as smooth as Flash.

taumel(Posted 2011) [#10]
Well, you at least get the size window to screen fullscreen mode. Beside of this it simply depends on the format you're using. generally mp4 is the best, then comes webm then ogv. If it's jittery or not depends on the content/codec you're using. I do very much like beeing able to watch videos on youtube now without flash as well. Not that flash is bad but it's just beeing misused too often in the web.

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#11]
IMHO Firefox 4 is better than IE9 right now, IE9 is crap.

Interestingly, FF 4 is the slowest browser on the market at the moment. Never thought I'd see that happen.

I don't know what they're smoking over there at the moment but every change they make to their site seems to make it harder to use.

I know, right? And changes seem to be happening more and more frequently than before, too.

Biggest thing peeving me off recently is the 'Load more' functionality in profiles. You click that button more than 3 times and the browser slows to a bloody crawl. You're lucky to get past one weeks worth of content on some busier channels. It's a disgrace.