Can you put a game on a disc?

Community Forums/General Help/Can you put a game on a disc?

simo(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi I was just wondering can you put Blitz plus games on a CD?
thank you for your help,
Simo

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Can if you have a CD burner.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
And if you want to RUN the games straight from CD, you need to make sure that you aren't trying to write any information to the same folders since it's going to be a read-only media.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#4]
Try having a look at Innosetup. Its free, quite intuitive, and will put your game on a disk so that others can install it to their computer.

Last edited 2011

mrniceguy(Posted 2011) [#5]
Or take a look at Smart Packer Pro. Files are extracted to the virtual filesystem.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=256

simo(Posted 2011) [#6]
I meant more along the lines of can you play a blitz game on a computer that doesn't have blitz?

Warner(Posted 2011) [#7]
Yeah, save as .EXE file. Program->Create Executable.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#8]
I meant more along the lines of can you play a blitz game on a computer that doesn't have blitz?
Nope

Your entire market is limited to ppl who have also bought BLitz (And to make it worse they have to have bought the same Blitz as you)

People have tried to persuade Mark to change this, but as far as he's concerned its a sale for him every time you get someone new to buy your game.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#9]
Nope

Your entire market is limited to ppl who have also bought BLitz (And to make it worse they have to have bought the same Blitz as you)

People have tried to persuade Mark to change this, but as far as he's concerned its a sale for him every time you get someone new to buy your game.
...meanwhile back on planet earth, ignore the above comment which may or may not be visibly sarcastic to someone who is new to Blitz.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#10]
ignore the above comment which may or may not be visibly sarcastic to someone who is new to Blitz.
True, BUT may I draw your attention to the very first paragraph of the description on BlitzPlus

BlitzPlus provides developers with a complete 2D programming solution for the PC. Utilising a BASIC/C hybrid language for use with its compiler, BlitzPlus is capable of creating any type of 2D program, with minimal development-time and with minimal hassle. Just run the included IDE (or use one of your own), type your code and your Windows executable file will be created, ready to be run on any computer running Windows 95/NT 4 or later.
The first question "Run from Cd", whilst a bit noobie was atleast a legit query, the second however .. (Im gonna stop there cos anything else I say, will cause offence either real or affected)

Last edited 2011

*(Posted 2011) [#11]

type your code and your Windows executable file will be created

I think thats what your looking for, distribute the windows executable with your data and there you go as has been said before.

EDIT: if you want to run from CD ala boot from the CD etc I suggest looking into a minimal linux distro and BlitzMax

Last edited 2011

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2011) [#12]
Use SmartPacker Pro, mate. I bought it, and it is DEFINITELY worth EVERY penny. :)