Retrieve Associated Icon

Community Forums/General Help/Retrieve Associated Icon

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#1]
Does anybody have a code snippet to get the associated icon from a file?

In other words, I want to read a directory and get the associated icons for all of the files and display them like the Windows Explorer does.

There is a wxFileType widget for this, but I do not believe it is wrapped by Brucey. Brucey, any chance that could happen?

Thanks for any help?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#2]
This seems to work -- in that it doesn't crash -- but it only gives you an icon handle:

Extern "win32"
	Function ExtractAssociatedIconA (hInst, lpIconPath:Byte Ptr, lpiIcon:Byte Ptr)
	Function GetModuleHandleA (lpModuleName:Byte Ptr)
End Extern

iconpath$ = "C:\Windows\notepad.exe"	' Path to file from which icon should be extracted
iconindex:Short = 0					' Index number of icon within file (may contain multiple icons)

exe = GetModuleHandleA (Null)

icon = ExtractAssociatedIconA (exe, iconpath.ToCString (), Varptr iconindex)

Print icon

How to actually draw the icon returned is another matter, one I haven't been able to figure out...

Last edited 2011

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#3]
I got that far, but thanks.

You are suppose to be able to get an HBitMap from an HIcon, but i haven't gone down that road yet.

I am using wxMax in my project, and the wxWidgets has a wxFileType library that will do this exact thing, but Brucey hasn't wrapped that functionality. I am thinking about taking a shot at it, by looking at his other work, but I have never done that sort of thing before, so I probably won't be successful.