AC powered usb 2 hub

Community Forums/General Help/AC powered usb 2 hub

JBR(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi, anyone recommend a good powered usb hub?

7 ports or more

Thanks
Jim

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
All the 7-port ones I've seen have been crap: the vast majority of them are either 2mAh or 2.5mAh, but the issue is that each USB device can draw up to 500mAh...

(There's a high-power and low-power mode in the USB standard: devices like external harddrives, usb powered printers, USB chargers etc. all negotiate 500mAh. Some other devices like mice and keyboards use low-power, 125mAh.
If you run a high-power device and there isn't enough power available, either it will run much slower at 125mAh, or won't work at all.

So.... If you're trying to connect just 4 or 5 high-power devices to most of those 7-port hubs out there, they won't have enough power for all ports to be used, and you may randomly 'lose' devices.

JBR(Posted 2011) [#3]
Hi xlsior, do you mean 2A & 2.5A .... and 0.5A ?

Mainly for Mouse, keyboard, 2 flash drives, 2 printers(plugged in to AC), external HD (the one from laptop in external case - USB powered).

I think they are all low power, except the HD ?

Any hubs worth a try?
Jim

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi xlsior, do you mean 2A & 2.5A .... and 0.5A ?

Yep, that's what I meant to say (Duh, can't believe I messed those up)

I can't really recommend any particular brand or model myself, though -- the only one that I found that reliably works even with flakey power (we have them deployed in a bunch of cars) was a 4-port linksys hub that it no longer manufacturered.

All the 7-port ones I tried were crap, and had load issues when too many high-power devices were connected to them.

Last edited 2011

JBR(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hi,

Decided on this ACH115EU - Targus 7-Port USB Desktop Hub

Seems to be working fine with all ports filled.

It is powered up to 3000mA and has some overload protection.

Going for £24 on ebay atm.

Jim