My phone is haunted

Community Forums/General Help/My phone is haunted

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
OK not really. But I do have something odd happening with my LG Optimus One that I don't understand, being the Android noob that I am.

In the taskbar at the top of the screen there is an icon showing two up/down arrows with a letter "G" above it. Sometimes this icon changes to an "E" (according to the manual; "data in/out". Fine... except at the time the phone is lying flat on the table and I'm not using it - I only noticed it was doing something because I got interference through the PC speakers.

I don't have anything on auto update to my knowledge, and no widgets on any of the home screens that could be doing anything. Its also set to use 2G network only as I'm right on the edge of 3G availability and it constantly flicking between the two was doing my nut in.

So what gives? Is this mysterious data transfer normal? Should I give Derek Acorah a ring?

VIP3R(Posted 2011) [#2]
Go to 'Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks'

See if there's an option called 'Enable always-on mobile data' and uncheck it.

Failing that you can manually disable the phone network here...

Go to 'Settings > Wireless & Networks

Uncheck the option labelled 'Mobile Network', this will disable all data in/out on the mobile network.

The above is using a HTC phone, but it should be very similar.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
Could be just the phone keeping a live link to the tower - there's a lot of background information transferred throughout the day, especially if you are in between two towers and your phone may hop from one to the other, or if your tower has a lot of simultaneous connections, it may keep changing you to different channels.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
Go to 'Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks'

See if there's an option called 'Enable always-on mobile data' and uncheck it.
I tried that before, but Android Market complained and threw some network error or other.

I'll try it again - shouldn't really matter as the only time I normally use Android Market I'm connected to wifi anyway.

Thanks for suggestions.

iprice(Posted 2011) [#5]
My phone is haunted too - it turns itself on and off and makes phone-calls and sends random texts all by itself. It only happens when it's rattling around in my pocket though...

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
My old phone dialled 999 once - the only number it can bloody dial with the keypad locked. How stupid is that?

First I knew of it was a little voice talking from... somewhere? I was relieved when I found out what had happened because that ruled out schizophrenia.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
lol

"G" means GSM (SLOW)
"E" is ... i dunno i call it extra G! :D (SLOW but not as bad)
"3G" is well 3G
"H" is turbo 3G (i think... i call it hyperG :) and is very fast)

You are pretty much garanteed to have something needing to chatter now and again, If as you say you are sure you have location, all apps closed then It is most likely network handshakes and other init data as you move between speeds & towers etc, i believe this causes some IO activity.

(PS: apps are still running when you press home btw! until they close from an idle period)

A handy tip is if you hold the home button you can task switch, holding menu will toggle the soft keyboard on and off (handy for some webpages and forms!!)

I also recommend "ultimate task killer, it is a great app that can kill everything (it actually lets you choose which apps you do not want to kill) immediately and returns your phone to that new smoothness. :)

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
the 'E' could stand for 'Edge' (Enhanced Data rate for GSM Evolution, also known as Enhanced GPRS, IMT-SC, or Enhanced Data rate for Global Evolution)

It's a pre-3G radio technology, sometimes also referred to as 2.5G.

When you get to far away from the nearest tower to et a reliable 3G connection, many phones automatically drop down to the 'edge' protocols instead. (A slower connection is preferable to no connection, after all)

On my phone (HTC Incredible, Android) it shows this as '1x' instead of '3G'

JKP(Posted 2011) [#9]
@Gfk

This is normal but can be disabled quite easily:
http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/tips/disable-background-data-on-your-android-phone.aspx

Problem is, you have to reenable it to use the Android Market app. But it makes a big difference to battery life. I wish it could be turned on/off by a widget.

One of the things about Android that I'm not so keen on is the way Google reserves the right to send details of your location etc. back to their headquarters at regular intervals for no good reason. I'm not sure if disabling the above option makes any difference to this.

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#10]
Found a great little app the other day, "Traffic Opt" by "Radio Opt" it gives you a desktop widget that shows you all radio traffic (wifi,mob) a bandwidth tester and when you click the widget it also shows you what programs use what and when.