Stay away from CoolerMaster

Community Forums/General Help/Stay away from CoolerMaster

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#1]
Unless you think <2 years life span is decent enough for a PSU.

It lasted about the same length of time as my last PSU - 200W weaker and installed upside down (and obviously running hot).

Thread created for Google Cache :)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
What's the point?

Stuff breaks. Complain to CoolerMaster if you've got a problem with it.

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#3]
My coolermaster has been running for an age now. I guess your just unlucky?

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#4]
I was researching power supplies a few months ago, and as far as I can recall Coolermaster came up as one of the better brands. You're still going to get the odd faulty one though.

For power supplies, you need to be careful what you buy. There are some real shocker brands out there, and many make claims about their operating power ratings that simply aren't true.

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#5]
Stuff breaks. Complain to CoolerMaster if you've got a problem with it.

That's a joke, right?

Coolermaster came up as one of the better brands.

'Swhy I bought it.

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#6]
If you're buying a PSU then I don't think you can go far wrong buying a Corsair brand one. From what I've read they're basically a re-branded Seasonic with better pricing and warranty, and both companies seem to have a good name.

With the more generic brands, you may get one that lasts ten years and you may get one that lasts ten seconds. It's a crap shoot.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
That's a joke, right?
No, its common sense. Which is the sensible alternative to publicly slagging off an entire company and all of their products just because yours happened to go tits-up for some reason.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#8]
No, its common sense. Which is the sensible alternative to publicly slagging off an entire company and all of their products just because yours happened to go tits-up for some reason.

^ This. I should also point out that every company puts out a lemon or two in their time; you can't go assuming the company's entire range is bad because of a bad product. I've spoken to people that won't TOUCH a Hewlett-Packard computer, yet all three of our family PCs through the years have been HP - Celeron 633MHz, P4 3GHz and Athlon FX5200 x2, respectively - and all three are still in perfect working order.

I also have a friend that has had a few weird and off-putting experiences with Amazon.com, and won't buy from them any more. We, on the other hand, have easily made over 150 purchases from Amazon to date, with not a SINGLE complaint.

Personally, I'd say that you probably had just such an experience: an individual product that no one knew should actually have been a factory reject. Or there are even other possibilities, like excessive dust, heat, etc... Do you have a case fan, or just a CPU cooler?

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#9]
Other potential issues that can lead to an early death:

- Your PSU could have been relatively underpowered for your machine, causing it to work near its max capacity for extended times which reduces their life expectancy (all PSU's degrade slightly as time goes on, if youre pushing it already that is going to interfere with normal operations much quicker)

- If you have spotty power in your house it can make the psu work much harder to stay within tolerances, potentially leading to an early death. (Do your lights ever flicker / dim slightly? If so, it would be an indication of unreliable power)

If it's one of those two, you really can't blame the psu at all if it gives out. Like others have pointed out, it's a bit silly to slam an entire company and all its products because your happened to die after two years.
(If it caught fire as soon as you plugged it in -- sure, that would have been sloppy workmenship. But failure after two years? That's near impossible for their quality control people to predict / prevent, isn't it?

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#10]
No, its common sense.

It might be your sense; it's far from common. I've never known a shareholder-run company to listen to anything other than money.

Which is the sensible alternative to publicly slagging off an entire company and all of their products just because yours happened to go tits-up for some reason.

Yeh it's infinitely better to remain quiet and let everyone keep believing that their favourite company is infallible.

- If you have spotty power in your house it can make the psu work much harder to stay within tolerances, potentially leading to an early death.

I did just move recently. It's probably something I should check out to be sure.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#11]
I did just move recently. It's probably something I should check out to be sure
Well after you check that out, be sure to give your landlord/housebuilder a public flogging for having bad electricity in all of his houses.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#12]
Well after you check that out, be sure to give your landlord/housebuilder a public flogging for having bad electricity in all of his houses.

... :D

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#13]
I know you're trying to troll, but that'd actually be not too far from reasonable.

dynaman(Posted 2011) [#14]
Did you ask for a refund? If so and they refused then coolermaster is wrong, if you have not even asked and complained here first then you are in the wrong.

Every company has a clunker from time to time, what truly sets apart the best companies from the rest is how they handle it when they have a clunker.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#15]
Did you ask for a refund? If so and they refused then coolermaster is wrong

Why on earth would they give a refund if a piece of equipment dies after two years?

Best case they'd repair and/or exchange for a refurbished unit, if it's under warranty, but expecting a refund after using something for two years seems completely unreasonable to me...

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#16]
In any case, if you haven't already then I'd suggest you invest in some surge(spike)-busters and line filters, Hotcakes. Most PSUs have some capacity for this, but the more you have the safer your PSU and computer will be.