Bitmap tracer

Community Forums/General Help/Bitmap tracer

JBR(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi, looking for a (free/inexpensive) app for taking a bitmap and tracing the shapes. I don't need to make vectors.

MagicTracer 2.0 is perfect, but costs $60.

Anyone know of an app?

Thanks
Jim

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
If $60 is too much, how much is inexpensive?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#3]
You could write an app in a few minutes to do this in bmax. (or in b3d)

basically:

1- create a second image of identical size to write to and fill it white (or transparent if using max).
2- scan each line of your image pixel by pixel starting from the left scanning right, progressng down the page line by line.
3- read the pixels and as soon as you are not reading the background color anymore (or better still the alpha channel) write a black pixel at this location to image 2
4- keep scanning line until you hit the background again then write another black pixel at the PREVIOUS location to image 2 (eg the last pixel to have content, not the background)
5- Repeat these two steps till you hit the end of line, then start again on next line, until you hit the bottom.
6- now do the same thing but working top to bottom moving right line by line
7- save output.

PS if you are using jpg as the input (not reccommended) then add a 10% tolerance to your color read.

PPS: if you want silouettes rather than outlines then on step 4 keep writing image 2 until you hit the background again.

Last edited 2011

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#4]
Inkscape has the ability to trace bitmaps. I found it excellent for my purposes.

http://inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

I don't know what "I don't need vectors" necessarily connotates, but there's no reason you couldn't rasterize from Inkscape again if you needed to.

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#5]
You can also do this with photoshop and gimp,
still think its easier to write your own though, that way you can make it do exactly what you want and make a batch processing system to do loads of images in one go etc....

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#6]
... that way you can make it do exactly what you want and make a batch processing system to do loads of images in one go etc....

Or you could just make a Script-Fu file for the GIMP that'll do the batch processing right there. Script-Fu ftw. ;D

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
thats true... ;P
there is also "actions" in photoshop i suppose...

Last edited 2011