Spyware

Community Forums/General Help/Spyware

JBR(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi, can anyone recommend a free spyware, malware, .. utility.

Thanks
Jim

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Microsoft Security Essentials.
Malwarebytes.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#3]

Hi, can anyone recommend a free spyware, malware, .. utility.

Sub Seven? :P

Dabz

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#4]
Dabz and I are starting to think alike. Not entirely sure who should be more scared. Wait, yes I am. The rest of the World.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#5]
Microsoft Security Essentials.
Malwarebytes.

Seconded. AVG was crap; the only virus I've EVER been infected with in seven whole years was contracted while I used AVG. I switched to MSE+MWB afterwards, been virus-free ever since. I absolutely swear by those programs. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free edition) is simply the best freeware virus scanner I've EVER found.

Last edited 2011

GIB3D(Posted 2011) [#6]
The only time I've managed to get a virus was when I had AVG was when I stupidly had it off. The virus popped up some Microsoft Security Essentials window that asked to scan but I was unsure about it. I clicked Ok/Scan/Yes anyways and that wasn't a very good decision. Luckily I didn't lose anything. System Restore!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#7]
Should I pay the full version of Malwarebytes because it seem so good finding things

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#8]
Another OS?

sorry :P

I use MSE and Avast.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#9]
Should I pay the full version of Malwarebytes because it seem so good finding things

The paid version of MWB just gives you extra perks and frills. Additional scanners, etc. You get all the power you need with the free version, it just lacks some of the full version's convenience.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#10]
Another 'go' for Avast. It's very light on resources.

Jason W.(Posted 2011) [#11]
Go here: http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

I use the following freeware/free versions on Vista/7:

1. Avira (virus protection)
2. SuperAntiSpyware (the name how lame, but it does a great job)
3. Malwarebytes

For XP, I would also use Spybot: S&D. Since everything is intergrated in XP, is so much easier for spyware to infect the registry. Once in the registry, it's harder to remove. Spybot helps with that.

Hijackthis is a good tool as well.

Jason

okee(Posted 2011) [#12]

Yes, as the free version isn't actively protecting your system, and it's
only €23 for lifetime upgrades, well worth it.

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#13]
I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware available here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The free version is slightly limited; no automatic scan, but works very well. This in addition too MSE works for me.

L8r,

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#14]
Ad-Aware isn't bad either, and their free version now has a resident mode, where it stays in the background and monitor for new intrusions (like an anti-virus program)

Superantispyware (yes, lame name) is very thourough, but extremely slow. Full system sxcan can easily take all day.