Become GOD in Windows 7

Community Forums/General Help/Become GOD in Windows 7

big10p(Posted 2011) [#1]
Fed up of hunting around in Control Panel for the setting you want? Then, become God!

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Ta-da!

There are actually several other 'easter eggs' like this is Windows 7, see: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/220753/windows_7_godmode_tips_tricks_tweaks.html

Disclaimer: I have read that God Mode has caused some folks PC's to crash with the 64bit version of Win7, so try at your own risk. Seems to work fine on my machine, though.

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#2]
All your functions are belong to us

big10p(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yes. It's great.

MCP(Posted 2011) [#4]
Christ thats great! or rather God that's great!
Thanks big10p :)

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#5]
It works in Vista too, albeit with the same 64 bit caveats.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#6]
Doesn't surprise me, vista and windows 7 are of the same NT "flavor" after all :)

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#7]
The author intrigues me. He does not use "chdir" to change the directory, instead he uses "cd". However, when it comes to making a new directory he is using "mkdir" instead of "md".

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2011) [#8]
so the snippet does work even on win98 !!!11 elf

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#9]
The author intrigues me. He does not use "chdir" to change the directory, instead he uses "cd". However, when it comes to making a new directory he is using "mkdir" instead of "md".

Probably someone like me that moves between Windows and Unixey systems :D
I tent to winix my terminal stuff a bit as well.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#10]
Well, I found the perfect place to put the icon, on my desktop. :P

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#11]
Very cool.

L8r,

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#12]
That... Is possibly one of the most insanely useless and redundant Win7 "tweaks" I've ever encountered, at least for me. XD

So, for my part, I use this nifty little tool I found in Windows a while ago, called the "Start Menu." Now in this "Start Menu," there's a link to the "Control Panel" which this "GodMode" tweak gives faster access to. However, if you right-click on this "Start Menu," you can actually bring up a list of "options" for it. One of these "options" allows you to set the "Control Panel" to display as a "menu" rather than a "link," which puts it in handy LIST form. THEN, all you have to do is click ONCE on this "Start Menu," click on or hover over the "Control Panel" menu, and you will then have access to EACH AND EVERY INDIVIDUAL ITEM IN THE CONTROL PANEL, NON-NESTED, ALPHABETIZED AND REQUIRING NO DOUBLE-CLICKING.

In short: this is actually a LESS efficient way of doing things than with the built-in Windows options. I've been using the "Display as a menu" setting for the CP as far back as two years into WinXP, which is to say about four or five years ago. I'm a special case, of course, because I do not allow ANY ICONS ON MY DESKTOP AT ALL; I use System Mechanic to forcibly hide them all. I also have my taskbar set to auto-hide. But still; this is idiotic. So much double-clicking when everything is just two single-clicks away; LESS even, if you use the [Win] key!

All I need is the Start menu, and RocketDock for my six most-used items: two folders, two URLs and two games. No double-clicking for me. :p

big10p(Posted 2011) [#13]
AN: I know all about the display as a list thing. God mode is far more detailed with direct access to everything, all stored under a related heading. But, you stick to your way if you want.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#14]
Err, I just realized that I wasn't quite clear on something, so I'll just say that I wasn't actually raging at you, big10p, or anyone else in this post; I was just ragin' at the news entry. Sorry 'bout that. XD