Acer Doggy Keyboards!!!!!!

Community Forums/General Help/Acer Doggy Keyboards!!!!!!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#1]
When I type like english eassy or whatever....every time I type long in sentence then of all sudden...the curors move to somewhere else....without even moving the mouse or mousepad(i.e. laptop )

How can I stop it please because it is really Annoyed!

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
When you say the cursor moving, do you mean the mouse pointer, or the text cursor?

It could be short somewhere in the keyboard or touch pad, interfering with your typing...

- If you *don't* type, but still have the same programs open, does it happen then?
- If you *don't* type, but have your hands resting on the laptop like in a normal typing position, does it happen then?

I've also seen some really erratic behaviour in the past on a laptop that had a GPS receiver connected to the serial port -- for some reason the laptop interpreted it as a mouse, and every 10 seconds the mouse would jump to a random location on the screen and click, which kept changing window focus and cursor location. Unlikely that this is happening to you as well, but you never know. :-?

Also, just in case: get some air and blow out and gunk like crumbs and dust that may be stuck in your keyboard... They can interfere with typing, and especially if your keys liks control or alt are affected can lead to weird behaviour.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
its because your hand is hitting the touchpad while you're typing. nothing to do with the keyboard. Or dogs.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
its because your hand is hitting the touchpad while you're typing.

True, that could easily happen without you noticing.

I had the same issue myself in the past on one particular laptop that had a -really- light touch. Easy to brush the touch pad with your thumb while typing.

If the laptop uses a synpatics touchpad (most do), you should be able to adjust the pressure sensitivity in the driver settings. Perhaps making it a little less sensitive could help.

also, some laptops have a little toggle switch that allow you to temporarily disable the touchpad altogether.. If your has one of those, at lest it could help you determine for sure whether or not the touchpad is the problem here.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#5]
How I disable the touchpad altogether? I have never done that before..

big10p(Posted 2011) [#6]
On my Acer laptop running Win7, it's control panel->mouse->USB mouse connection, then click the 'Touchpad is never used' radio button.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#7]
I have Acer 6935 and I have try to follow your instruction but I cant seem find USB Mouse Connection :(

big10p(Posted 2011) [#8]
By the looks of that you may not have the right driver installed - mine has a huge amount of options to play with. The PS/2 compatible mouse listed is actually your touchpad.

My touchpad is an Alps one, yours may be different. Try downloading and installing the latest driver for yours from here:
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_6935.html

If that doesnt help, you could always try completely uninstalling the touchpad driver from Device Manager.

Last edited 2011

Another thing I just remembered: you may have a function key to toggle the touchpad on/off. On mine this can be done by pressing Fn + F7.

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#9]
If you uninstall the touchpad driver (ps/2 mouse) in the device manager, more than likely it will automatically come back after the next reboot -- however, you can -disable- it there, and it should stay off.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#10]
Mine has an option to "disable tapping while typing" in touchpad settings.

If you don't have any touchpad-specific options in mouse properties, you either don't have any driver, or the wrong driver installed.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#11]
If you uninstall the touchpad driver (ps/2 mouse) in the device manager, more than likely it will automatically come back after the next reboot
I considered that but figured there may be a chance it won't get autodetected as it's connected to the PS/2 interface?

however, you can -disable- it there, and it should stay off.
I don't know about Vista but that ability seems to have disappeared in Windows 7, otherwise I would have suggested that, too.

[edit] My bad. There is a Disable option, it's just been moved. However, the Disable button for the touchpad is greyed out on my lappy.

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#12]
I considered that buit figured there may be a chance it won't get autodetected as it's connected connected to the PS/2 interface?

Nope, still gets auto-detected -- I've deleted them myself in the past on laptops when the touchpad is acting up, and they always come back after a reboot.